PDA

View Full Version : Crappie boat for family

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Looking for ideas on what would make the best boat to start taking my 4 year old son Crappie fishing on. toon would be great but too slow to cover area we fish in. Can you give me ideas?

harpenter
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Are you fishing a lake or a river? Are you allowed to use outboard motors where you fish, if so any HP restrictions?

I take my 6 year old lake fishing in my boat. It's a 16' Lund with a 25HP motor. It's deep enough that I don't have to worry about him falling out real easy, and it's simple to fish out of. Even with that, I still make him wear a life jacket at all times.

FishnLine
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard mississippi glenn. If you're looking for a new boat (or you might find a used one), take a look at the Triton TA-196 crappie boat. You can rig most boats for crappie fishing it just depends on what style of fishing you'll most likely be doing and your price range.

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 01:59 PM
We will be on a couple state lakes but a good bit on the Tenn-Tom waterway. that has a good bit of shallow water to deal with.

I have looked at the Triton, a friend of mine works for them and the factory is about 15 min from me. I loved the idea of the boat till but when the seats are side by side it would be too hard to keep him in the boat.

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Hold on! That was not a TA-196 I look at it was a TC-17. If the TA is the fiberglass Crappie boat it is going to be a little above my budget till I see how much he is going to want to fish.

Crappie Chatt
06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Remember that little guys and gals LOVE to hop into the water. Make sure that there is a easy way to get those little fishers back in the boat. <*)}}}><

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Looking at the deep V type boats. They look to have good sides and seem to look more kid friendly but what about the draft?

Chadku
06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a tracker pro crappie 175. It can be good for kids because they can stand or sit in the back of the boat on the floor...they do not have a deck back there so it is pretty safe and is easy on your pocketbook. But if you are taking it on large bodies of water I would not recommend it...You can get a little wet... I would add some sort of a ladder like crappie chatt mentioned because the kids do like to take a break and take a dip and it can be a life saver also in case some one ever falls in!

Crappi Master
06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Look at war eagle they are good boats.http://www.wareagleboats.com/

birddog
06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Whatever boat you decide on please, please make him wear a life vest. Happy boat hunting!!!!

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 02:34 PM
That is one thing I do like about the Triton boats, They do offer a Res Q boarding ladder on some models.
I do like the looks of this Tracker boat.

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
He never gets in a boat without one! How do all of you feel about the new auto inflating vest on the market?

FishnLine
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Knowing my luck it would blow up and choke me! :D

How much are the Triton TA196's going for?

Jerry Hancock
06-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Check out Lund. The 17-19' Explorer Crappie Editions are perfect for families. They handle rough water well.

coony278
06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
To be honest I would buy a boat you want. Your kids arnt going to care what boat they are in.
I have an 85 bass tracker aluminium. 17' and my 2 year old son has no problems in it. He has a good life jacket and wears it at all times in the boat , NO EXCEPTIONS.
And just to be honest , me and him and the wife have a ball in this little boat. They dont care what they fish out of as long as it goes and comes :).

Coony

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Close to home coony, Aberdeen. I see your point. Not sure one of the Deep Vs would work well around here? What do you think?

mississippi Glenn
06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Why does it say Guppy under my name?

grubby
06-27-2007, 07:23 PM
number of post you have made.The more you post the label will change with the numbers. welcome to the board GLENN

Cane Pole
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Another thing to consider when buying a "family" rig is the Number of Passengers it will legally carry and the Gross weight it will carry. It should be on a tag somewhere on the boat.

coony278
06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Close to home coony, Aberdeen. I see your point. Not sure one of the Deep Vs would work well around here? What do you think?

For around here , I would have a flat bottom boat , They drawl way less water and will float in 12" or less water. Which makes them ideal for the spawn time. But I have mine set up to troll right now and it works great.

I would defently not have a fiberglass boat, I put one them at the bottom of sardis a few years back and the reason I quit fishing then. I hit a log and didnt even know it. Split the hull wide open, boat sank quicker than I could think. Aluminium more than likely will not split. It might leak but it wont bust wide open.

If I had the money I would buy a brand new Bass tracker crappie pro. Man I have drooled all over them at the Bass Pro Shop in Memphis :o . They are awsome.

Coony

Darryl Morris
06-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but I can tell you from experience you will not EVER regret getting a center console. They are a fishing machine and comfortable to fish from. You can check out pic of mine on my website and Jerry Blakes on his website. They are worth every penny. Get a used one if you have to and then fix it up and rig it the way you want it for pan fishing.

3's
06-28-2007, 05:56 AM
For a youngun i would have to re-think the toon. Some of them will scoot pretty good with the proper power. It gives them a place to get out of the sun and plenty of room to move around. Take a few toys for the slow times and a nice place for a lunch. Otherwise, from the sound of the water you frequent, I'd get the biggest widest ModV jon I could find in my budget. I've had storms blow up when I had youngsters on board that scared me pretty good. Its a whole lot different when its all adults.