Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron or Stainless Cooker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cast Iron or Stainless Cooker

Thinking about buying a new fish cooker, need experience from all you crappie chefs. How do you maintain a cast iron dutch oven far as cleaning, storing, seasoning and such, or should I go with stainless steel cooker. Will stainless steel do as good of job as the cast iron with less hassle? Not much said about stainless steel cookers here in the past. Please compare the two.
    Last edited by Countrytime; 06-27-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used stainless before. I know some caterers that do. But, I have never thought to ask them of any advantages. I use a cast iron dutch oven. A new one should be seasoned by heating grease inside of it. If you are single you can use your oven but any woman is not going to understand or appreciate smelling up her house. I used my grill on the last one. Just wipe some grease inside and bake it. After I have cooked fish in it, I simply hose it off/out then let it dry. Do not use detergent or you will be cleaning out rust and re-seasoning. I store mine sealed up in a trash bag. Oh BTW....if I am camping or cooking out on the bank and no hose is handy, I just walk out into the lake with it and wipe it out real good.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the "el-cheapo" aluminum deep fryer that comes with the least expensive propane cooker from BPS - it cleans up fine, heats quickly and evenly and gives me no problems at all. The cooker base can be set up for either a fish fryer or a turkey fryer, so this fall, I'm getting a turkey fryer kit for it.

Post Thanks / Like

cast iron will hole heat better

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Nothing better than cast iron.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

It is almost impossible to cook outside without dealing with some wind. If you plan to cook any outside you will not have good results with anything other than cast iron. If all cooking will be inside maybe some of the others will do as good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both, well aluminum, stainless and cast. Unless you are cooking outside in serious wind, I can't tell the difference, yeah cast will hold heat better, but if you are frying, not really an issue for me. Also cast is HEAVY. I have really weak wrists, so this matters a lot to me, also for camping, hiking anyway, no way. Cast is easier to cleanup, but not all that much, since I recycle my oil, I never leave it sitting. Hope I have not rambled too much. Basicly I like stainless better.
    What makes a better lightning rod than a graphite fishing rod? NOTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

castiron is great to fry mulitple pans of fish, it holds the heat great.. but just one fixin',aluminum is good,heats faster and cleans easy..

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Stainless Steel cooker and wouldn't use anything else on a large amount of cooking, like I did over the week-end. I had at least 70 people here and it works great for large groups. For our own family use, I use a Fry Granddaddy and will cook for groups of 20 or less with it. My cooker uses about 1-1/2 gallons of Canola Oil. and my Fry Daddy uses only about 1/2-3/4 of a gallon. The Stainless Steel cooker is very easy to clean once it cools down and I can vacuum strain the oil and use it again, unless I have gone thru a lot of fillets like I did this week-end. If I use the larger pot and Deep Fry Turkey's then I will use Peanut oil instead of Canola oil. This way I use my cooker for double duty and just use a larger pot for other things that I cook.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

My fish cooker had an Aluminum pan which the oil burned quickly and then cooled too fast. I changed to a Cast iorn pot and love it. The cast iorn can be heated and wiped clean with paper towels after removing the oil. Do not wash unless it's absolutely nessasary.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast