Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member,need some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New member,need some help.

New to the forum and not new to fishing but only crappie fish on vacation in Canada,Lake of the Woods. My question is about purchasing tubes in certain colors. We followed the camp owners father out this year and caught what we thought were some nice crappies(little over 12")on 1 1/2" tubes under a slip bobber with no live bait. The 2 colors that worked that day were blue/white and chartruese. I was going to purchase some different color tubes and would like to know some generic colors that work for you guys/gals.

The lake has lots of perch,crawdads,some shad and I would assume I should mimic those colors? I don't want to sound cheap but I don't want to go out and fill a tackle box full of stuff and would prefer to keep it kind of simple.

Any help would be appreciated and if any of you have fished the lake that would be a great help as well.

Thanks in advance.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie can be very finicky one day and hit anything you throw in the next day. The old adage that any color will work as long as its chartruce has alot of truth to it. I also like red/chartruce, black/chartruce, red/white, blue/white.
    Good luck.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard thompmd.

The only colors I use are chartruese and black/chartruese.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally fish a chart/black or chart/red. If we get into a spot where they're hitting good, but we're also getting into snags I'll switch to a color I don't use as often.

Welcome aboard from IL.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs with chartruse in them are a good go to jig.And welcome frome Georgia.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard from Upstate NY.

All I use is 1.5" tubes. Chartreuse (the day-glow yellow kind) is my first choice, but sometimes they don't like it. I don't have a ton of different colors, but between the eight I have, I always seem hit on the one they want on a given day.

Here's what I carry: (the color/color ones are in body/tentacle order)

chartreuse
    black/chart
    blue/white
    red/white
    hot pink
    white
    silver glitter/white
    and one other that I'm not sure what it's called, but it's a purple-tinted smoke color with red and black flecks embedded in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 11902 From Toledo Bend Texas!

On tubes, Black and Chartreuse would be a good add to the others and that is the colors I use most with tubes. However I like my hand tied jigs much better and can catch a lot of fish without changing tubes or anything. It's not unusual at all to catch 100 or more on one jig as long as you don't lose it to a snag.

Take a look at my web site and let me know if I can help with anything!

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys!!! couple more ???'s

Thank You for helping in the color selection. I would like to ask a couple more questions...

Line color? I typically use 6lb stren clear/blue and always use as light as we can get away with.

The other question is about the jigs. I may order an assortment and was wondering what everyone thought? My thoughts are that I think the feather jig would be a little better in the water than the marabou? Do you usually fish the jig bare or tipped?

I have always heard too that crappie feed up meaning my bait should be above their heads(in general).

Also wanted to mention that the crappie we caught in Canada this year the water was 60deg and we were a week ast the full moon and I believe the crappie were going away from the beds.

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with that blue and white ... that is about the only colour that I use up here in canada ... there are days when it does not matter what coulor but when the going gets tuff it blue and white.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I alway start fishing at about 5' below the boat and slowly work my way down and the almost alway take the tube as it is dropping.
    I have under water videos on youtube and some show the crappies takeing jigs......search siscoken to find them.
    Aken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast