Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help-fishfinder For Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Help-fishfinder For Crappie

what is the best fishfinder for crappie in Florida lakes to 30 feet deep? Is color better than grayscale? I want to get a fishfinder that will bring success all year around especially summer. There is a crappie tournament this week in lake dora and i am going to investigae there. Thanks in advance for info. Thid my main work and passion.

Post Thanks / Like

look at the Eagle Fishmark 320 or Fishmark 480. They are good equipment for the $. The Lowrance X96 is another good one. It's actually another version of the Eagle made by the same company.

Post Thanks / Like

Color is 100x better then grayscale. A bit more expensive but definitely worth it.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I think it entirely depends on how much you’re willing to spend. Of course color looks better than gray but a bottom ledge, hump or treetop will show quite nicely on either piece of equipment. Also consider what you are mounting it on. A $600 depth finder on a $500 aluminum boat seems a bit much, But a $90 Piranha 215 would do a nice job on anything that floats.
    We all don’t need GPS location devices, map storage and three color display to say “hey there’s the edge of the weed bed and a drop off!”

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a $500 Color Sonar and a $600 Color GPS on a $100 Jon Boat. I need all the help I can get. I ain't so good at "finding" stuff.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappiefinder must be powerful

Thanks for all the information. I have a 15 foot whaler type boat of a trailer and a 11 foot V-bottom alum boat that I haul in the back of my F150. I catch good fish in both and will use the new fishfinder on both along with my garmin 72 GPS. Right now I am considering the Low X67C, Garmin 400C, humm 343C, or the Humm 565 highpower noncolor unit. My research indicates that color helps differentiate crappies from the bottom by using different colors for the bottom and fish. Also, 200kHz abd 20 degree cone is necessary for shallow fresh water. SOOooo, now I will watch for a sale.

I have an old Humm DX unit now that mostly shows brush piles and the depth. It shows fish but this is less helpful as Florida lakes are full of catfish, gar, shad, chubsuckers, tilapia, strippers and wipers, shellcrackers, and asst breams Thus, you can anchor in a proven deep water crappie hole and a constant parade for echo targets move across the screen. I have some really good spots waypoints on my Garmin 72 GPS like a 40foot hole in 20 feet of water and a pile oof something (old friges I think) in Lake Eustis in 22 fee. I have caught lots of crappies and wipers at both spots.

Fishing is fun, I went this AM but got the skunk. We did have a nice bear cross the road in front of us yesterday though.

Post Thanks / Like

Look, son, I'm a Mississippi red-neck, so maybe you need to explain what a wiper is. I'm guessing it's what we call hybrids( cross between white bass and stripers). Ain't heard that term before. Good luck on your sonars.

Post Thanks / Like

Default also looking

hello fellow slabhunters, i'm also looking. my eagle fishmark 480 zapped out on me this weekend. i was wanting to upgrade so i guess i will now. i have a gps unit so im just gonna buy a sonar only unit. i'm gonna buy a color one. i've been looking at the garmin color 400c. anyone have this unit? is it a good unit for the money? or is there a better unit out there in anyones opinion? i wanna keep it in the $300 - $400. thanks for any advice

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was using a Garmin that was greyscale and I thought it was pretty good until I bought the Lowrance 334C and the x102-Both are color units. I was totally amazed at how much I had been missing out on. These units have really helped me keep my clients on the fish and it is really easy to read and know what you are looking at. The darker the color, the harder the object or bottom. When I am looking at a brush pile, it usually shows up in yellow or orange and rocks, stumps, etc. usually show in orange and red. I know there are a lot of really good units on the market to choose from so you will have to check out the different suggestions (and price ranges) and see which unit is the best for you. Just a little advise...Go for the Color! See Ya on the Water...

Darrell Baker
    Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
    PO Box 778
    Centre, Alabama 35960
    Tele/ 256-927-2232
    Cell/ 256-557-0129
    www.weisslakecrappieguides.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default so maybe you need to explain what a wiper is

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    Look, son, I'm a Mississippi red-neck, so maybe you need to explain what a wiper is. I'm guessing it's what we call hybrids( cross between white bass and stripers). Ain't heard that term before. Good luck on your sonars.
    Me neither on the wiper. Glad to see a Miss red-neck knows that there ain't no such thing as a fishfinder...ha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast