Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beetles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beetles

Does anyone still use the ole Bass Buster type of split tail beetles? I grew up watching Dad using them in green and black, think they called it catalpa.
    Just curious, think i'm gonna give em a try again. Iffen they used to work, maybe they still will:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Mike
    VICTORY IN JESUS

Post Thanks / Like

They still work. I've caught bluegill, bass and catfish on them. I've seen a couple of fishing shows where they were using a similar lure for redfish.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappie 13. Thanks for the PM. You can check on my website man.

I used one as a kid. Now that I am fully grown with one foot on a banana peel and the other on Social Security I pretty much stick to Marabou and kip tail Clouser Style minnows. They catch all the species I want to clean. Besides that, I tie them for stress relief for the days I can't go fishing. If I used plastic it would be a tube jig as my backup "Go to bait."

old shil
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

the good old beetle-spins still work - I see pictures on forums all the time with bream with beetle spins hanging out of their mouths!

Personally, I like tubes for crappie, but if a beetle-spin is working for you, by all means, use it.

Post Thanks / Like

My Crappie box contains nothing but Beetle spins, Berkley Micro Nymph, and tubes. I just found the magic of the Micro Nymph a few weeks back and if you fish in a lake with crawdad/crayfish/mudbugs then these are killer plastics. I'm a diehard beetle spin fan but my bro-in-law was out fishing me 10 to one (he caught a spec almost every cast) with this Nymph.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now thesoe beetle spins will work.
    It's about water temp.
    When the wate ris cold you'll downsize,but now I'm getting craps on 1/4 oz jigs and 4" sassy shad.
    Later I'll get small again.Come winter I'll be down to 100th oz. jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie13; yes they do work! if you want a great buy on these bodies [ you may have to order them in 100 ct.] go to www. ffo-tackle.com buy the spinner harness / jig heads seperate rig e'm yourself rip that lip!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"