PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch Sliders

crappster
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Has anyone began using these yet? They look really good. Just wondering if there have been any field tests on em yet, before they catch me.

russ
02-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I have used them quite a bit. I did a show with Charlie using them for shellcrackers and I use them for crappie when the fish are finiky. They do catch them!!

Russ

whizkids
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I carry them in my 4 favorite colors ( for 1" sliders). They were very effective in the spring of 2003. In 2004 the longer ones were more effective.

red/chart( I made from white/chart)
blk/chart
june bug/chart
motor oil/ orange

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-16-2005, 08:39 AM
They work great around docks, and in shallow brush piles. My two favorite colors are the Pink w/clear sparkle tail, and their Bluegill color for clear water. They fit a 1/32nd jig about perfect too.

<,"}/>{ Rippa

TAE73
02-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I carry them in my 4 favorite colors ( for 1" sliders). They were very effective in the spring of 2003. In 2004 the longer ones were more effective.

red/chart( I made from white/chart)
blk/chart
june bug/chart
motor oil/ orange

Where did you find the 1" in junebug/chart? I looked on there website and didnt find them. I love this color in dirty/muddy water in the 1 1/2". I am goin to be ordering some 1" for up coming spawn.

Tim, I will be sending you a email soon, let me know if you can get away in August the week of the 9th. I will be staying at Rathbun for the sprint nationals. I hope we can meet up and fish.

lovetofish
02-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Has anyone began using these yet? They look really good. Just wondering if there have been any field tests on em yet, before they catch me.

Enlighten a southern boy on what you are talking about. Do you have picture? Never seen one I quess or if I did I didn't know what I was looking at. Thanks for info.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-16-2005, 09:45 AM
August 9th is still wide open, and should stay that way for me Ted. I will bring my Turkey fryer down so we can get stuffed on fillets and taters! :p

Let me know on the other stuff when you can.

Full baskets to ya Ted! <,"}/>{ Rippa

TAE73
02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
I found the junebug in 1", I just didnt look hard enough!

Here is the website for the slider grubs. I have not used any of the 1" but love the 1 1/2" grubs. I do have to give slider some credit, when I ordered several pack of grubs. I got a few sample grubs along with it a few 1" and a few 1 1/2". This isnt much, but made me think alot of this company. When I get to my spot on my lake, lately my first jig to go in the water has been a slider.

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/Details.tmpl?ID=1032392082357157&Cart=1108566050122521361&SKU=CBP

Tim I will sure do that, we will get there on Tuesday and stay till Sunday morning. Most of the day will be free, you should come down to knoxville one night and tailgate with us.

whizkids
02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Where did you find the 1" in junebug/chart? I looked on there website and didnt find them. I love this color in dirty/muddy water in the 1 1/2". I am goin to be ordering some 1" for up coming spawn.

bottom row far right
http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/Details.tmpl?ID=1032392082357157&Cart=1108568962122705890

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Tim I will sure do that, we will get there on Tuesday and stay till Sunday morning. Most of the day will be free, you should come down to knoxville one night and tailgate with us.

Can do on the tailgating. FYI Red Rock Lake is just above Knoxville, and way closer than Rathbun is to it. I've heard it is very beautiful, and excellent fishing for both Crappie, and JUMBO Bluegill. (Rathbun will have a lot of lake lice around that time too, but we can still get away from them somewhat)

I could get down there on Thursday night, and stay a couple days to the very least anyway. Early in the week is tougher for me, but the place is only about 2 1/2hrs away or so. I look forward to it Ted! <,"}/>{ Tim

TAE73
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks, What threw them for me is that they are not the same color as you get. Or at least the junebug that I got was purple body yours the same?

Tim, we would like to stay at Red Rock, but there isnt a single campsite open for the nationals. There is something worked out with the corps and the city. Becuase there is a waiting list for the campsites during that week. That is why we chose Rathbun, its only about 45 minutes to the track so its not to bad. But its closer for us on the way up and on the way home. I have a new fix for for those waterfleas.. its called a paintball gun! Wont kill just leaves a mark! I do remember from last time there was several large boats and fleas. But at the west end of the lake after going under the bridge there was none to be seen. And that area looked good with all the trees.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Tough navigating up there Ted. Most of the wood you see up there by the bridge is in less than 3' of water at normal pool. Depending on the lake level, and how much your boat drafts... could cause problems. But you are right, the Lice stay clear from that point on. There is a ramp a ways past the bridge on the North side of the lake which will put you in better water. We will talk more about where to go closer to when you plan to be there.

Let me know if you are gonna fish Crappie Master's there on 5/21. I'll give you some tips on go to areas for that time frame too. I can't be there for that one, I'll be at CAST's Classic instead.

To everyone else, sorry I bogged down, and got so far off of the thread topic.

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Rod & Reel
02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I found the junebug in 1", I just didnt look hard enough!

Here is the website for the slider grubs. I have not used any of the 1" but love the 1 1/2" grubs. I do have to give slider some credit, when I ordered several pack of grubs. I got a few sample grubs along with it a few 1" and a few 1 1/2". This isnt much, but made me think alot of this company. When I get to my spot on my lake, lately my first jig to go in the water has been a slider.

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/Details.tmpl?ID=1032392082357157&Cart=1108566050122521361&SKU=CBP

Rod & Reel
02-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Tough navigating up there Ted. Most of the wood you see up there by the bridge is in less than 3' of water at normal pool. Depending on the lake level, and how much your boat drafts... could cause problems. But you are right, the Lice stay clear from that point on. There is a ramp a ways past the bridge on the North side of the lake which will put you in better water. We will talk more about where to go closer to when you plan to be there.

Let me know if you are gonna fish Crappie Master's there on 5/21. I'll give you some tips on go to areas for that time frame too. I can't be there for that one, I'll be at CAST's Classic instead.

To everyone else, sorry I bogged down, and got so far off of the thread topic.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
Are you guys talking about the Knoxville Nationals? I am an avid World Of Outlaws fan and was thinking about coming to the meet in August. Can you give me some info. about it and if there would be any accomondation left to reserve. I have a motor home and would like to know if there are any RV hookups close by. How many nights will they be racing? Do you live close and is there some good Crappie Fishing around Knoxville.

TAE73
02-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Check your PM

TAE73
02-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry also about running off with a different subject. This will get it back on-track. I found this artical writen by Charlie Brewer, the inventor of the slider grub and how to fish the slider.

http://www.northamericancrappie.com/members/how_to_use_a_slider_lure.htm

whizkids
02-16-2005, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=TAE73]Thanks, What threw them for me is that they are not the same color as you get. Or at least the junebug that I got was purple body yours the same?

Yes. A quick dip in black helps but it is still not right.

DENNIS BOWERS
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
CRAPPSTER,I USE THEM WHEN THE BITE GETS TUFF &FOR BLUEGILLS.NOW THAT C.B. HAS CAME OUT WITH THE'charley bee' THERES ALOT OF NEW COLORS!I USUALLY PUT THEM ON A 1/16-1/32 JIG HEAD.MY MOST TWO PRODUCTIVE :) COLORS HAVE BEEN-BUBBLEGUM/CHART, JUNEBUG/CHART!I TOO GET FREE SAMPLES WITH EVERY ORDER AND THINK IT SHOWS THEY APPRECIATE OUR BUSINESS!!GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS

TAE73
02-16-2005, 07:11 PM
To me junebug, in the worm colors has always been a purple color. I am curious to why you dip it in black. They are perfect in my book, they have killer lately. With muddy water @ a foot visbilty.

I am curious to what you dip them in, are you using spike-it? And if you are, do dip before you get on the water or while you are fishing.

Flyrod Bob
02-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Where can you purchase 1" Sliders? Anyone have a company name and address? Please e-mail me info at: Outwriter2@aol.com Thank you. Flyrod Bob

Flyrod Bob
02-16-2005, 07:33 PM
To me junebug, in the worm colors has always been a purple color. I am curious to why you dip it in black. They are perfect in my book, they have killer lately. With muddy water @ a foot visbilty.

I am curious to what you dip them in, are you using spike-it? And if you are, do dip before you get on the water or while you are fishing.

Try dippin' em in good ole Irish Whiskey. The crappies will come and hang around your pub and suck it in. If the whiskey don't work, try a bit 'o Irish beer.

whizkids
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM

I use spike - it. Why? Just because I like to experiment. I do it before
I go on the water. I may take any color and just take 3 or 4 and change the body hue or the tail hue. I carry spike - it in the boat and if they get on it, I can make more. If I don't catch anything, I just toss them when I get back home. I do this long linning, usually in the spring when fish are very active. I believe you can trigger a bite from a larger fish in the school your are working by varying color and presenting something unusual. You may also
not catch anything. But when trolling 12 rods which I do, it doesn't hurt to keep something unusual on two or three of them, especially if you have depth dialed in. I can be catching fish on a certain color and I will change everything just to see what happens. I just don't believe that there is only one color the fish will hit at a certain time. Attend any tournament weigh in and see how many different lures caught fish on that lake that day and many of them were fishing within sight of each other.
Anyway, I just like to experiment. To me red/chart is the very best color if I had to chose just one color, next is black/chart. I may did the whole thing in green or black and wipe it real quick with a paper towl so it don't take full color.
I take the feeeding by site stuff to heart. crappie and Bass are members of the same family. There has been a tremendous amount of research on bass feeding habits. You are probably familar with the way to tell how deep color hue can be determined by a bass. Drop a white spinner bait down on the sunny side of the boat until you can't see it. Supposedly bass only need 1/4 of the light humans need to distinguish hue. So multiply that depth by 4
and you supposedly have the maximum depth that a bass can determine hue.
Can a crappie see better than a bass? I don't know. I have been searching for a scientific paper on pomoxis nigromaculatus ( black crappie) that deals with sight, but I haven't found one yet.
I do know from my own experience las Saturday that at 16 feet in turbid water, crappie favored a pink jig over a red one, a green one, a black one, and an unpainted one. All in 1/32 oz.. all with no plastic just a minnow. Out of
26 fish the pink one caught 14 and that jig was only on 3 rods out of eight. All at the same depth. I think color matters. I also believe that even different shades of the same color will make a difference. Therefore the dipping in spike it.
Sorry for the long post.

TAE73
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I totally agree color is everything on a crappie, I was just curious if you thought there was something wrong with junebug the way it comes.

Here is where you can buy them direct, they cost a little more. But worth it I think for the free samples.

www.sliderfishing.com

whizkids
02-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I was just curious if you thought there was something wrong with junebug the way it comes.

I thought mine were lighter than the 1-1/2 I had. They may have been faded as I bought them from a local store. It appears to me as if some manufacters are produing a neutral color and then dying them to demand. This dye fades
even when keep out of the sun. I had some red and some pink fade to white
and every chart tail in about 15 colors faded. I don't think dye holds up as weel as injected color. Injection may cost much more. I know I won't purchase hundred packs anymore.

TAE73
02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I have had to throw away some jigs. Because after time the colors bleed together. Certain colors seem to bleed together when others dont.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
If anyones interested, I am a Field Tester for Fish Formula. They make, as well as many other items, acid dyes for plastics in several different colors. These dyes do not have any added scent such as Spike its do, but they hold their colors very well after dipping. The Chartreuse is my favorite, folowed by lime, Pink, and Blue. PM me if anyone wants to talk about ordering some. This stuff is why a lot of my tails I buy just have a clear sparkle tail. IMO, the dye makes for a more intense body color than the original plastic pigments.

So ends my info mercial! :D
<,"}/>{Rippa