Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer Light Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Light Help

I've noticed my trailer lights have burned out after only about six launching sessions. Should I be unplugging my wire harness before backing it into the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Cant hurt.Also make sure you have a good ground.Fro plug to plug,groundingthru the trailerball is not recomended,because you loose ground while turning,etc

Post Thanks / Like

uh, yeah! unplug your lights before launching.

I've been launching boats for pleasure and work for 20 years and was always told to unplug them lights. most of the time I did, sometimes I didn't.

well this spring I witnessed a bulb blowing up when the trailer went into the water, so that argument is over. Unplug the lights before backing in.

90% of trailer light problems are due to lack of good ground. make sure that white wire from the truck is directly connected to the trailer. don't trust the ball/hitch to carry the ground...

use vaseline or grease on the bulbs before putting them in, prevents corrosion and it will help keep them on.

I solder all connections and wrap them in lots of tape or better yet, use the liquid electrical "tape" or silicone to keep them waterproof and prevent corrosion.

joe

Post Thanks / Like

They are kinda expensive but go get ya a set of LED trailer lights and forget about it forever. The wires will rot away before the LED lights go out. They are really bright too. My local Wal-Mart has a couple to choose from.

Later,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

led is without a doubt best way to go...Here's why. As you drive to the lake in the early morning with your truck lights on, your trailer lights are on too. THEY GET SUPER HOT> You back into the lake and POP...All over. Even with sealed lights that have bulbs, water will get in. LED have ZERO heat, and mine are rated for 100,000 hours. They are about $60 set but you NEVER have to worry about them again. I got enough other stuff to up-keep on.

Post Thanks / Like

Every boat trailer I have ever owned, I put posts on them to get the lights up a few inches above the sides of the boat. Never go under water that way. Also, put pvc pipe over the posts and then they act as guides when trailering the boat.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch guys!

I'll go to Wally World and look for some LEDs. I didn't think about the heat issue popping bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

your local Auto Zone will have them, also.