Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mounting and Moving A Transducer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting and Moving A Transducer

How is the transducer usually mounted to the boat? Is it just epoxied on or are there screws running through the boat? Suppose you get a new boat & want to move the fishfinder to the new boat. How do you remove the transducer from the old one & how do you then attach it to the new boat?

Just curious.

Tugaloo

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never owned a new boat, so I don't worry about drilling holes in it. I've always mounted mine on the back of the transom. I understand some people epoxy a plate back there so they don't have to drill into the boat. Another option is to get a "thru the hull xducer". Those are glued (using special glue so you don't have any bubbles in it) inside the boat on the bottom of the hull. Personally, I would rather have mine outside for the water temp function. Did I make any sense?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Both have pro's and con's.. if mount outside the boat and you fish flooded timber you take a better busting it off. I have done this once and had to buy whole new transducer. Also the setup that humminbirds have with the kickback transducers to prevent this. After time will work themselves loose and it will pop-up everytime once on plane. And there is nothing to do about it once it happens, except change the mount. I do not know if you can mount a transducer inside of a aluminum boat. I do know that you can on a fiberglass boat. If you do mount inside the boat, you must do like IBNSHN said. You cant have any bubbles or it will not work, or do not mount it where that part of the boat will be out of the water when on plane. Some depth finders have a seprate water temp prob to allow you to put the transducer inside and still have water temp.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Tug ...

I've removed & replaced several Depth Finder/Transducer set-ups, over the years. Check in the "manual" for proper placement and rigging instructions.
    I've had them mounted on the transom (outside), trolling motor, and even on the inside (sump well). I even purchased a "switch box" several years ago - so that I could use one unit with two seperate transducers (one on transom-one on T-motor).
    The one I have, on my current (fiberglass) boat, is screwed into the outside of the transom. It isn't the one that came with the boat, when I bought it new (1984) ... I removed the old transducer and replaced it, bracket and all, when I put the new unit on. Just be sure and coat the new screws with "marine grade" silicone, before putting the screws in.

Yes, there are "special" glues/sealants that you need to use to mount a transducer on the inside of the boat. And, I think, there are special transducers for use inside of aluminum boats (or special proceedures).

Take a look at the LEI website ... they have all the various different transducers, wires, connectors, etc. You should be able to determine how best to rig a particular boat, by looking at what's available for that purpose. Here's a link - http://www.lei-extras.com/store/default.asp

New boats (direct from dealer) usually come with a unit/transducer already installed ... you've paid for them to mount it (it's included in the "dealer prep" charges). If you should be able to get a boat that has never had a unit installed on it, and aren't too sure of your own installation abilities ... it might be worth the $$ to have a dealer's "rigging tech" do it for you. ...luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

howdy; as one of the posters above me said, most manufactures have directions. most have them online. go to thier website and print out the directions. my 2cents worth. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is a plastic plate, Bass pro and cabalas has them. I made mine from 1" thick plastic. On holes along the water line. Its bolted along the top.
    I can move the stuff all I need to and theres never a hole to leak.
    If you need a picture I can post one of my boat. It even has the water temp gage on it.
    Also got my first humming bird depth finder in 1986 and have never had a problem with the transducer flipping up. Unless I hit something. Loctite come;'s on everyone of them.If you take it apart make sure you replace the loctite. And never have a problem.
    Pete