Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota Power Drive 70

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Power Drive 70

I just bought a Minn Kota 70PD for my pontoon. First time I used it it had a very high pitched whine, actually a scream. This was on high power settings. There is no doubt fish would be spooked by it. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? I haven't had a power drive motor before and it sounds like it is also too loud when turning it with the power drive feature.
    My other boat has a Motorguide Brute 54 lb and it is quite even on high settings.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick
    I just bought a Minn Kota 70PD for my pontoon. First time I used it it had a very high pitched whine, actually a scream. This was on high power settings. There is no doubt fish would be spooked by it. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? I haven't had a power drive motor before and it sounds like it is also too loud when turning it with the power drive feature.
    My other boat has a Motorguide Brute 54 lb and it is quite even on high settings.
    No. that is not normal. I have the same TM and it does not do that. Not to insult your intelligence but you do have it wired for 24V don't you?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota 70 PD

Thanks for the input. I left it up to the Boat Dealer to see that it is wired for 24 Volts. He was the one who installed the motor. I will check it to be sure it is properly wired.