Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pointing transducer forward

paidin Guest

Default pointing transducer forward

While shopping for a boat, one of the guys selling a boat told me how he points his transducer facing forward on his trolling motor. He says this allows him to see whats in front of the boat or where ever he points his trolling motor. he says he has great success with this. Does anyone else do this? If so, how well does it serve you or am I better off pointing it down. I currently have two fish finders. one in the back and one in the front.

thanks,
    paidin

Post Thanks / Like

i thought the echoes etc, had to bounce off the bottom, but i guess if theres fish in front itll bounce from them too,,,im not so high tech, my fish finder always tells me lies, i use mine mainly for depth and finding cover,it tells me alot of times im on top of fish , but rarely catch em when looking at em, i guess a fish finder is like most fisherman , they lie they lie they lie lol

Post Thanks / Like

It will show up on what ever is in front of the boat. But most of the signal will be lost.
    Now if your fishing standing trees and stuff like that. It will show you the trees before you get to them.
    Pete

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a side finder made by Bottom Line i think. It was great for looking under docks and the bank but I got tired of sending it back to be fixed at $69 a whack. So I gave up on it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I used to have a side finder made by Bottom Line i think. It was great for looking under docks and the bank but I got tired of sending it back to be fixed at $69 a whack. So I gave up on it.
    Now if you buy one of the Humminbird 997c-SI units. You can see what is under a dock without any problems.
    This picture is shooting under a dock.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he was talking about how I do mine, just point it a few degrees forward kind of like pointing a flashlight to see where you are stepping at night. I like to follow the creek channel and if I turn my TM to the right and it gets deeper then I know its on the right and if I turn it to the left and it gets shollower then I know going that way will get me out of the creek. You just have to work with the angle to get it right, if pointed to far forward it becomes useless in MHO. I will never go back to having mine pointed straight down.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve, Just a few degrees forward is all we are talking about here. Works well for me also.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

it's helpful locating brushpiles. You see it before you're on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Shilored. could you please explain that photo of shooting under a dock. I am not very experienced at looking at these images. It appears to me that it also shows the dock on top of the water. ? Maybe a brushpile at the end of the dock? I am just guessing. Tell me more please. I am dying to get one of these units.
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I agree with Steve, Just a few degrees forward is all we are talking about here. Works well for me also.
    Im trying to visualize a "few degrees":D You wouldnt have a pic of it by any chance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast