Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pellet gun?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pellet gun?

Is a pellet gun any good at 250-300 ft? If so what model? My neighbors get antsy about me shooting my 22 at rabbits and deer to keep them out of my garden. I know its not going to kill a deer but might make them think twice about coming back.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

get this one and those rabbits will become stew and if you hit them just right those deer will drop too...lol

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Most airguns are pushing it at 50 yds. They might make it to 100 yds with a lot of hold over. Read every thing you have ever wanted to know about pellet
    guns at yellowforum.com. They are more a 10yd to 30yd guns. A 22 cal will be a better cal for game.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to say, a 22 cal airgun will be better for game.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Bill a friend of mine back in TX loaned me his pellet gun, it was a Benjamin Franklin and I remember pricing them later and they were $100. You ncould pump it up to whatever pressure you wanted. I remember 10 pumps would take out a feral cat at 20 yds. At 10 yds it went thru 1" plywood and fairly deep into a thick catalogue behind it. Dont know what max. range woulda been under full load of pressure.

Have you tried the .22 CB loads? They are quiet and you'd have the range.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer
    Bill a friend of mine back in TX loaned me his pellet gun, it was a Benjamin Franklin and I remember pricing them later and they were $100. You ncould pump it up to whatever pressure you wanted. I remember 10 pumps would take out a feral cat at 20 yds. At 10 yds it went thru 1" plywood and fairly deep into a thick catalogue behind it. Dont know what max. range woulda been under full load of pressure.

Have you tried the .22 CB loads? They are quiet and you'd have the range.
    If those are the ones made by CCI I just picked up a box but haven't tried them yet. I wish they still made short shorts.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Shoer,
    Your are right as rain. I have three of them placed around my house, shop and fishing cabin and I use them a lot to get rid of tree rats, wild cats. The
    Crosman Benj are cheap and have been around for years. Very little trouble happens to them and you can rebuild them easy. One of mine is 40 years old and I had it as a kid.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Had a daisy 880 when I was a boy that would reach out that far. Shot a dove on a branch at a hundred yards with open sites. It didn't kill it but it made feathers fly and then it made the mistake of flying over Dad. nuff said. I think you can still get that model but I would sure buy a little scope to put on it too. 10 pumps and your there. I personally could not stand to watch them goats live. I am disgusted with them and would like to see them all gone!CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Highest velocity air rifle made. Even though air rifles aren't ideal for hunting because of the low shock characteristics of such a light pellet, the fact that the .17 pellet is moving at 1600 fps is going to extend the range and the killing power for small game, but I just can't say nothing about shooting at deer with a .22 or anything smaller. Your only going to injure the animal even with a pellet gun. Besides I'm pretty sure its illegal. Using a .22 pellet gun isn't going to help much. There aren't any that shoot higher than 800 fps, and they are pretty much useless compared to the .17 models.

You can buy a pretty decent .17 from walmart that shoots 1000 fps for $100. The higher dollar pellet rifles are really fine firearms, and most people don't know this, but pellet guns are the most accurate rifles on earth. With a quality gun a good marksman can group 5 shots inside a.17 hole at 100 feet.

Just don't shoot deer with them.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    If those are the ones made by CCI I just picked up a box but haven't tried them yet. I wish they still made short shorts.
    I use the CB Longs in a .22 cal. singleshot rifle. The only thing that can be heard from my rifle is the firing pin dropping. I can penetrate roofing tin from 2 blocks away. Pretty cool because I can drop a feral dog without alerting the other feral dogs around.
    Let Em' Land!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast