Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Help

I Have A Motor Guide Pro Series 46lb Thrust 5 Speed With Foot Control On My Bass Tracker. Having A Hard Time Steering It . Seems Like The Pedal Is Real Hard To Feather It. It Either Goes One Way Or The Other When Pushing Down. Are They All Like That Or Do I Need A Better Moter With More Control? If The Water Is Just A Little Choppy I Cannot Control It. I Cannot Keep The Arrow In The Position Very Easy. Any Help Would Be Appericated

Post Thanks / Like

Default mine was the same way

either went hard right or hard left depeding on wave action. had to keep my foot on it all the time. finally got fed up and bought a minn kota ap with remote. love having the freedom to move around in the boat not worrying about being tied to the front and being a slave to the tm. be warned though, installed it myself with well nuts and the thing almost broke free and went in the water. finally found these to install it and it's been working great ever since

http://www.mechanicalplastics.com/products_hwh.html

Made sure to get the stainless steal ones and now it's secure as secure can be. The only way it can pop out now is if it takes the whole front deck with it. I hate not being able to install it with nuts in the back but that's what you have to do when you can't get to the underneath side to put nuts on it.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-23-2007 at 07:48 PM.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size Model & Price

Thanks What Size & Model How Much Did You Have To Pay ?
    Do You Keep The Remote In Your Hand Or What? Does It Work In Choppy Water? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It was a closeout 06 model ap i think. bps had it and they said they were getting 07 models in (they changed the design to make them easier to deploy). it is a 55 lb thrust. it was 589 i think on clearance. the newer ones are 689 i think. i wear the remote on my wrist like a watch. it works really good in open water and chop. the remote is extra $. the motor comes with a foot control with an 18 or 19 foot cord so you can put the control anywhere in the boat that you are. i just opted to get the remote so i didn't have to worry about kids tripping over the cord. the motor head is electric controlled so it doesn't sway back and forth in the chop

one thing that can help with the motor you have is to grease under that collar thing where the bearings are. my motor was hard to turn on the foot control and i greased those bearings and it smoothed it out and made it easier to feather. at any rate, i hated being stuck at that cussed foot pedal while trolling, especially with kids in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I Like Your Idea. You Dont Have To Have A Foot Pedal. Can You Do It All With The Remote?

Post Thanks / Like

it does it all. turn and speed. it takes a bit a getting used to but i use it fine now. i replace the battery about every 4th trip just to make sure i don't run out of juice in the remote and i always carry the foot pedal in the boat as a backup just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

there are alot of members here that use this motor and love it. pretty sure a good many use the remote too.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have a problem with the shaft bearings. A bad bearing would cause it to be hard to steer.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brand New

Thanks I Have Only Had The Boat Two Months. It Is A New Bass Tracker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwbuilding
    Thanks I Have Only Had The Boat Two Months. It Is A New Bass Tracker
    If it's that new I think I'd have it back to the dealer. Have them check it out, sounds like there is something wrong with it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer