PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 997c si

Buzz
06-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi All,

I know there are a few users and also people from Humminbird on this site all the time. My question is....Do you think the price of the 997c si will stay the same for an extended time or should it start creeping down over the next few months. I really want to pick one up but man...its hard to hand over $2000+ that quick. Its not a question of " if " i'm getting one of these units, but when. Thanks for your replys.

Later,
Buzz

old fuzzy
06-23-2007, 09:53 AM
you would think as with all things that are electronic as time passes they will come down in price ,but they are replaced with something better(if that is possible in this case)these things are the ticket for finding things that you never knew were there or that never showed up on old style finders,,,found a fence row this week in 35' of water and it marked every post as if you were looking at it on dry land(and there were fish there also)--fuzz

ShilohRed
06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I would not hold my breath on that. Look at he 987 I waited over a year. And did get it for $1749. But still not a big drop in price.
As there the only one that can make the unit. Why would they drop the price down?
If your the only person selling the hottest jig that will out do anything on the market. And you can get $12.99 for that bait. And no one else can make one that will do what it can do. Would you drop the price?
I know I would not for a few years.
Pete

1weezer
06-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree with Pete. I would not hold my breath on them coming down in price a whole lot. However, if you fish very much, they are worth every penny they cost. I think that most every body that has been in my boat and seen this thing in action, has bought one. Nothing else on the market like it.

FishnLine
06-23-2007, 02:44 PM
If I were getting one, I would go ahead and get it. If something better comes out, you will want it or I think I would. I rode with a friend the other day that has one and it is awesome.

hogster
06-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey Shiloh is there all that much Difference between the 987 and the 997?

Buzz
06-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I do try to go fishing alot. At least once a week. There is a lake over in Mobile called "Big Creek Lake" that is known for large crappie and bass but its one of those lakes that you have (or had) to fish for years to even get a bite. All the oldtimers tell me they can go out any day and fill the boat but I've been several times by myself and can't even get a bite. I'm thinking the 997 might give me a little edge over the average guy trying to figure this lake out. Its quite large with lots of structure, even a sunken bridge in about 30-40 feet of water. This lake is also Mobile's main water supply. Maybe I could get a Humminbird rep to come demo one of the units on the lake with me. Yep, I know thats a long shot but I would like to look at one of these units first hand before I order.

Thanks,
Buzz

slabbandit
06-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I will have one one of these days too. But don't dispair. Spend your time between now and then studying and learning all you can about the features of the unit. Then when you get one you won't be trying to learn it all then. This is what I did before I ever got a GPS unit.
I will run into someone on the lake here one of these days that has one and don't think I will be bashful about saying "Hey, mind taking me out there and showing me how that thing works?"

pwbuilding
06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I Was Looking At One Of Those On The Cabell's Website. You Can Get A 100.00 Now. What Does That Thing Do Tell You What Kind Of Fish You Are Looking At?

Buzz
06-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Check out this web site. But be very careful, it gave me the fever RRREEEAAALLLYYY bad.

www.sideimaging.com

Later,
Buzz

Spiderman
06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I need a friend that has one .............

Jerry Blake
06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
If the 997c SI is a bit too pricey you might look into the 797c2 SI. I just put a 797 on my boat a few days ago and I'm real happy with it so far. The screen seems small after looking at a 997 but it will do most everything the 997 will and actually has more vertical pixels than the 997. I'm still using my Map 76 for my GPS so I don't have to devote any of the screen on the 797 to GPS. I haven't had much chance to go exploring with the Side Imagine feature yet but from what I've seen so far it's going to be a very useful tool.

ShilohRed
06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
If the 997c SI is a bit too pricey you might look into the 797c2 SI. I just put a 797 on my boat a few days ago and I'm real happy with it so far. The screen seems small after looking at a 997 but it will do most everything the 997 will and actually has more vertical pixels than the 997. I'm still using my Map 76 for my GPS so I don't have to devote any of the screen on the 797 to GPS. I haven't had much chance to go exploring with the Side Imagine feature yet but from what I've seen so far it's going to be a very useful tool.

Jerry do not I repete... HEHE Do not use the side imaging on that unit. If you do. Well let me just put it this way.. Your days of fishing is over. Your hooked and from then on. All you can do is look to see what is under there. LOL
Pete

FishnLine
06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Yep, I know thats a long shot but I would like to look at one of these units first hand before I order.

Thanks,
Buzz

I can understand wanting to look at one first hand for that much money, but IMO, you won't regret it.

Buzz
06-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Well here I go. Ordered it a couple of hours ago from the Humminbird web site. Just wondering how long it will take to get here. Now the next delima is where to mount the thing. I'm thinking I will probably mount it on the front of the boat to use with the trolling motor. I think you can buy extra hardware to wire it up for both places but I'm not sure I want to be moving a $2000 piece of equipment back and forth from the front to the back.

Thanks,
Buzz

crappiekiller2
06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Cableas have no interest for a year on anything over $199. this would be a good buy with no interest.

coosajimmy
06-24-2007, 10:12 AM
What is the name of Humminbird,Techsonic Industries? If this unit is as good as everyone says and they are the only one that can produce it,we might should buy stock in the company and let it pay for the unit plus a few jigs and maybe a new boat.:) :)

Humminbird_Greg
06-24-2007, 10:23 AM
If I had to bet, I would say that the 997 would go the way of the older 987. Meaning that you wonít see a drop in price until they are replaced by something bigger and better. I doubt that you would see much of a price frop if and when it does Ė just like the 987. Now donít get all excited Ė this is the way of all things electronic or otherwise. I would not be able to tell you if there was or was not another unit that would replace the 997; Iím just saying this is what would happen if there was a replacement at some time in the future. I will say that the 997 is still a very popular unit and there seems to be more interest in it than there was for the 987.

The Yahoo Unofficial Side Imaging Group site is a very good place to get lots of information on the side imaging units too. Several of us Humminbird guys frequent this site as well. I will warn you though: donít sign up and look at the many screen snapshots of what others have been finding (well, at least the ones that will share what they are findingÖ) unless you have given your credit card to someone else to hide. I donít have this problem as my wife only gives me mine when she approves of the purchase before hand!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

Fuzz, you get any screen snapshots of that fence that you care to share?

GRIZZ
06-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, Lets see some snaps.

Humminbird_Greg
06-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Jerry,
Donít know if you figured it out yet or not but the GPS on the 797c2 Si unit is still operational even though you are only viewing the Side Imaging (Si) sonar. You did connect the GPS receiver didnít you? You can still set a Waypoint for your boatís present location and even better: when you see some structure in the Si beams just move the cursor over it and hit the MARK button. You now have a Waypoint for the structure you just saw.

Buzz,
Extra hardware is available. Some are using the RAM mounts so that it is faster and easier to move the unit from console to bow and back as well as taking it off when not in use.

Coosajimmy,
Yes Humminbird and Techsonic Industries, Inc. are one and the same. The company name is Techsonic Industries, Inc and we produce several different types and brands of products. The brand that we are most noted for is the Humminbird brand line so thatís how we answer the phone. Johnson Outdoors Inc. owns us and many other brands that you may recognize (Minn Kota, Eureka, Silva, Ö).

hpcrappieman
06-25-2007, 06:47 AM
better think twice about Hummingbird!!! There support sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Blake
06-25-2007, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=Humminbird_Greg]
Jerry,
Don’t know if you figured it out yet or not but the GPS on the 797c2 Si unit is still operational even though you are only viewing the Side Imaging (Si) sonar. You did connect the GPS receiver didn’t you? You can still set a Waypoint for your boat’s present location and even better: when you see some structure in the Si beams just move the cursor over it and hit the MARK button. You now have a Waypoint for the structure you just saw.

[QUOTE]

Hey Greg:

Oh, yea, got the GPS hooked up and it's working great! I studied up on this puppy for several weeks on the Yahoo SI Imaging Group and in the Owner's Manual on the HB site so I was ready to go when I stuck it on my boat.

I'm finding all kinds of stuff I didn't know was there. I'm using just one side of the SI at a time - the side between me and the bank and that's all I have on my screen so I can get as large of an image as possible. When I see something of interest I freeze the screen, move the cursor to the "point of interest" and save a waypoint. Then I go to the split screen and use the GPS to get back to the point of interest and find it on my downward looking sonar and then save a waypoint on my Map 76 when I am right over the heaviest part of the cover. It's working great and I'll still have the waypoint on the 797 as a back-up in case I every have a problem with the Map 76 while I'm out.

The only problem I've had so far is getting the unit registered. After I enter all the information on the registration form and click "Submit" I get an error message saying, "The Serial Number is not correct for the Model" or something to that affect. I sent a message in over the weekend so hopefully someone will get back to me so I can get it registered so I can download HB PC. Then I can transfer all my waypoints to the 797 and I'll be good to go!

I haven't had any trouble with “Electrical Noise” and I think we've pretty well worked out the "noise" problem Darryl was having with his 997 - at least to the point where it's not a major issue. Thanks for your help with that and all you do for us.

Jerry Blake
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM

I've been using Humminbird graphs for over 20 years and have never had a problem with support or service. I have had some units that quit on me but they have always been replaced or repaired within a week. If HB users would read their owner's manuals, use the FAQ and Troubleshooting pages on the HB website - http://www.humminbird.com/productLines.asp?id=602, ask questions and study what's available in On-line Forums like this one and the Yahoo SI Imaging Group to figure things out on their own instead of calling HB for every little issue then maybe their Customer Support phone lines wouldn't be jammed up all the time.

Someone made a comment to me recently to the affect that you shouldn't expect to have any problems with anything you spend so much money on and that it should be like buying a new car - just jump in and start driving. My reply was something to the affect that a new graph is more like a golf ball, which will go the distance and fall in the right hole IF it is hit properly and there's nothing in the way.

old fuzzy
06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Jerry,
Don’t know if you figured it out yet or not but the GPS on the 797c2 Si unit is still operational even though you are only viewing the Side Imaging (Si) sonar. You did connect the GPS receiver didn’t you? You can still set a Waypoint for your boat’s present location and even better: when you see some structure in the Si beams just move the cursor over it and hit the MARK button. You now have a Waypoint for the structure you just saw.

Buzz,
Extra hardware is available. Some are using the RAM mounts so that it is faster and easier to move the unit from console to bow and back as well as taking it off when not in use.

Coosajimmy,
Yes Humminbird and Techsonic Industries, Inc. are one and the same. The company name is Techsonic Industries, Inc and we produce several different types and brands of products. The brand that we are most noted for is the Humminbird brand line so that’s how we answer the phone. Johnson Outdoors Inc. owns us and many other brands that you may recognize (Minn Kota, Eureka, Silva, …).has hummingbird tried of thought of having a instructional cd for these units,,why i ask is the book is great to look at but a cd with lets say some info as what all the options are and this is how you use certain functions would be great,,,then when you get on water things may seem easier to understand,just a question + when you mount the external antenna it needs to be next to the unit or lets say that if it is mounted in the rear of the boat and the head unit is in the front then your things that you mark are off by the length of the boat,,for some people 20 feet may or may not matter, but dead on is still dead on---fuzz

deep-v
06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
You could've got the $100 gift cards from Cabelas when they were selling them for $80 the beginning of the month.

$2000 worth of gift cards for $1600 ain't too shabby. Could've saved alot of $$$ on a $2000 item.

SpeckChaser
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
To Jerry Blake
I had the same problem registering a Matrix 67 I bought from them in person. The problem was they were behind in getting all of the units sold (shipped) in their database. Once they got caught up I had no problem registering the unit.

As for their support, it is top notch IMO. I bought a 87c that kept powering off and resetting. I sent the unit in and within a week I had another unit and have had no problems since then.

I want one of the 997's but it is out of my reach for now. I will get one down the road.

ShilohRed
06-25-2007, 10:59 AM

I bought my first humminbird in I think it was 1986 and thee support has always been Number one. And I for one I have never had a problem with them.
And Just like Greg posting on here. Now he does that even on his own time. Don't see any others on here from the other company's posting and answering questions on there day off.
Shoot Greg even got back to my Pm yesterday (Sunday) A buddy of mine is on the James River and has a problem with his unit not saving screen shots . Now there shooting a fishing show. And that is what made it bad. But Greg took care of that on a Sunday. And even followed up on a call today.
Now to me that is Priceless.
Pete

Jerry Blake
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
To Jerry Blake
I had the same problem registering a Matrix 67 I bought from them in person. The problem was they were behind in getting all of the units sold (shipped) in their database. Once they got caught up I had no problem registering the unit.

As for their support, it is top notch IMO. I bought a 87c that kept powering off and resetting. I sent the unit in and within a week I had another unit and have had no problems since then.

I want one of the 997's but it is out of my reach for now. I will get one down the road.

Hey Terry:

That may be what the problem is - the data base not up-to-date. It took a while on hold but I got through to Tech Support late this afternoon (MONDAY!) and the lady that was helping me tried to register it for me and had similar problems. She said she would work on it and get back to me tomorrow. I was able to register my Matrix 12 so I was able to download HB PC so now I'm not in any hurry to register my 797.

Ranger690
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Do not get a Humminbird Sidescan. Trust me. Don't do it. It just wastes valuable fishing time. For example....

Wasting time looking at a rock pile and marking fish.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00008.jpg?t=1182876076

Wasting time finding a single log, brush pile and two concrete blocks.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00018.jpg?t=1182876308

Wasting time finding crappie holding on bridge pilings in 37' of water.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00027.jpg?t=1182876397

Or a whole sunken barge 100' from the boat.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00067.jpg?t=1182876524

Disgusting really! :D

ShilohRed
06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Do not get a Humminbird Sidescan. Trust me. Don't do it. It just wastes valuable fishing time. For example....

Wasting time looking at a rock pile and marking fish.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00008.jpg?t=1182876076

Wasting time finding a single log, brush pile and two concrete blocks.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00018.jpg?t=1182876308

Wasting time finding crappie holding on bridge pilings in 37' of water.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00027.jpg?t=1182876397

Or a whole sunken barge 100' from the boat.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p256/Ranger690/S00067.jpg?t=1182876524

Disgusting really! :D

I agree it sure cuts into the fishing time. But then again it also can cause you to catch more fish. As you find so many fish to fish for that you would not find with a standard unit. So its trade-offs..
Pete

Humminbird_Greg
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting a response here guys but have been tied up on reports and teaching classÖ

Jerry,
Did you ever get your 797c2 Si unit registered? If not, shoot me an e-mail and which model it is (Ďregularí or NVB) and Iíll see what I can do for you. Iíve got a way around this that works.
The electrical noise Ė mainly trolling motor interference Ė has been a hit and miss issue. Some have it and some donít even though they may have identical boats. Our Engineering Group continues to see what we can do from our end.
You are right by the way: the majority of the calls we get are for information only.

Old Fuzz,
The instructional CD has been asked for many, many (did I mention ďmanyĒ?) times over. If I had the time and equipment I would do one myself! I havenít worked with video myself but Iím sure I could hack something together. I do try and write some ďHow-ToĒ pdf files for some of the features as the need arises, but again; lack the time to get a lot done. We do need an instructional CD, DVD, or video on our web site. I really canít tell you why we havenít had this available yet. Someone will make a CD/DVD on using the Si units and when they do I would bet that they would sell in the thousandsÖ

LOL at Ranger690! :D

Jerry Blake
06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks Greg, I sent you an email.

Cane Pole
06-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I am gonna solve my noise problems by adding a Group U1 battery for the electronics. Gel filled 35AH for about 50 to 60 bucks. Weighs about 25 pounds. I ran my start battery down the other day from all the stuff I had turned on.

Digital TM creates more noise problems than non digital. Probably a frequency related thing. (I looked at the two outputs with my scope.) Don't tie Sonar cable to the TM power cable. Noisy!

old fuzzy
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
thanks greg for the reply-fuzz

Buzz
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

I can't wait til Saturday! My 997 came in today. Got to get it mounted on the boat. Gotta get a couple of RAM mounts so I can move from the front to the back. If anyone has done this a list of parts would be really cool. Also, would you mount the transducer on the back of the boat if you are planning on moving the unit back and forth?

Thanks,
Buzz