Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Surf Rod Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surf Rod Suggestions?

I'm going to be doing some surf fishing near the end of September on the Outer Banks in NC. I don't have any surf fishing rods. I was wanting anyones opinions on what would be a decent combo or what to look for in a surf fishing combo. I have used an old seven footer with a heavy action with a quantum reel before but the rod was a bit too stiff to fling the weight out like I wanted.

Any thoughts? I don't want to break the bank on the rods and reels. I'm not planning on going more than once or twice a year. 50 to 75 per combo is the max I'm wanting to spend but would even settle for less if anything decent is out there.

Any suggestions?
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popperonahead
    I'm going to be doing some surf fishing near the end of September on the Outer Banks in NC. I don't have any surf fishing rods. I was wanting anyones opinions on what would be a decent combo or what to look for in a surf fishing combo. I have used an old seven footer with a heavy action with a quantum reel before but the rod was a bit too stiff to fling the weight out like I wanted.

Any thoughts? I don't want to break the bank on the rods and reels. I'm not planning on going more than once or twice a year. 50 to 75 per combo is the max I'm wanting to spend but would even settle for less if anything decent is out there.

Any suggestions?
    Try to find a spinning Ugly Stick combo. I have one and they're great. It's Medium Heavy I think, and spooled with Sufix 20 pound test and casts 1-3 oz. weights great.

Post Thanks / Like

popperonahead; we have what you need in this price range , Trophy Fishin brand white blank / chart. tips inform me on length -cast or spin? will give you dead nut prices.....thanks.send a P.M. or contact us e-mail [email protected]
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply...pm sent to you lipripper.
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to surf fish at Cape Lookout NC we used rods about 8 or 9 ft long. You need a heavy rod in case you hook a big puppy drum, bluefish, and/or flounder and some other kinds of fish. As far as a reel, we used to use all open face. I remember they were Quantum but I don't remember which model. If it were me going on my first trip, I would just buy a rod and reel down at the coast. They will definitely have what you need.

BTW-what are you going to be fishing for?

Post Thanks / Like

I would think there would be some shops around there that rent them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8'6'' "ugly stick lite" medium heavy action with a pflueger contender 7560 on it spooled with 17 pound test.. I can throw 4 ounces really far and the pflueger contender reels are designed to resist saltwater corrosion with less openings on the outside. I like this combo a lot and even use it in fresh water for stripers and bass (and maybe salmon later this year).