PDA

View Full Version : Too Fast On Water!!!

slabbandit
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
My BIL got his race boat back together the other day and we took it out on the AR River below Murry Lock and Dam. It has a big souped up Merc on it.
We hit 100 MPH!!!:eek:
I forgot to mention that we didn't even hit the nitrous which is 150 more instant horsepower!!
I will try to get a pic up of it this week.

Baditude
06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
My BIL got his race boat back together the other day and we took it out on the AR River below Murry Lock and Dam. It has a big souped up Merc on it.
We hit 100 MPH!!!:eek:
I forgot to mention that we didn't even hit the nitrous which is 150 more instant horsepower!!
I will try to get a pic up of it this week.

Kinda hard to troll at those speeds ain't it?

jlaughlin72
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Kinda hard to troll at those speeds ain't it?
I bet it would make a bandit scrape the bottom and stir up some mud...lol

slabbandit
06-22-2007, 09:06 PM
You know..it's funny, fishin' didn't even cross my mind!

bobberwatcher
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I think I would probably agree with you slab. Fishing wouldn't be on my mind either, but hangin' on sure would!

crappie bug
06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I bet you can beat everybody else to the good fishing holes in the spring

harpenter
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Must of been going for Muskies

FalconSmitty
06-22-2007, 11:07 PM
I think I would probably agree with you slab. Fishing wouldn't be on my mind either, but hangin' on sure would!
yep and wondering why the heck I got in..

FishnLine
06-23-2007, 05:06 AM
yep and wondering why the heck I got in..

and when I'll be getting out and how I'm not getting back in :D

wannabe fisherman
06-23-2007, 05:51 AM
ain't no way!!! I don want to go that fast anywhere especially on water.

longliner
06-23-2007, 06:01 AM
:rolleyes: Puts me in mind of a green carp tournament, zoom, zoom!!!:mad:

reelcrappie
06-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Too fast for me. I'll stick with my boat, slow but sure.

Biggerbear
06-23-2007, 06:20 AM
At least we are reading about it on this Site and not seeing it on the News as a Fatal Crash. Not only did you guys put yourself at risk, but anyone out there just trying to have fun was at risk. Those speeds should be restricted to scheduled boat races so everyone is aware of the potential collision with an overpower out of control boat operator.

FishnLine
06-23-2007, 06:53 AM
My boat will only go 25mph and I rode with a friend the other day and his boat will do over 70mph. I couldn't imagine going 100mph.

slabbandit
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey, The fastest that I have ever been before this was 74 mph on Quachita in a 200 HP Merc. No big deal by today's standards. I'm not a speed junkie but I like to be able to say that I've done it one time. If that makes any sense.
BIL fished with me one time in my 35 HP Stick Steering Tracker and I told him I would slow down if he got scared!:rolleyes:
I totally agree about the safety factor of putting bystanders in harms way. On this day there were no boats or people within a 1/4 to 1/2 mile of us. My biggest fear here on lake Nimrod is when I am traveling up the river channel feeding the upper end of the lake. The river is barely 100 yds wide and very curvy. I'm afraid of the bass boats running fast around these curves.
It was an experience but I have no desire to do it again and am perfectly happy in my Lil' 35 HP.;)

slabbandit
06-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Biggerbear, You know, it comes to mind that the only place I've read or heard of bad accidents involving bystanders were at...sanctioned events!

wrwest
06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
My cuz has a souped up bass boat. We went fishin one day and he took it to 85 mph, with plenty of room for more. It was not fun!!! Trying to hang on to the fishin poles and to the boat not wanting to fly out. No thanks...

NIMROD
06-24-2007, 04:35 AM
My cuz has a souped up bass boat. We went fishin one day and he took it to 85 mph, with plenty of room for more. It was not fun!!! Trying to hang on to the fishin poles and to the boat not wanting to fly out. No thanks...
I don't think you'd catch many Green Carp at 85 MPH either!:eek:

3's
06-24-2007, 06:17 AM
Not a speed freak by any means but my dad went through a second chilhood and got into the big performance boats. I think what all started it was a Ranger Bass boat with a 200 Merc. I saw 84 in it one day but when a boat wake hits it gets a little squirrely:o Then he moved to a 65 MPH Baja, next was a 85mph Majic cat, Then on to a 120+ mph Hustler cat, and back to a 90 mph Fountain. Fastest I saw was 104 but felt safer there than i did several days at 50-60 in the Ranger. Last boat he had he down sized considerably to a 2072 WE and a 115.:p

fishingpox
06-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Not this whiteboy, going that fast. Though when whomever drug the lake for bodies they diffinitely would find part of the wreckage clutched to my fingers and toes....dayum

David Waters
06-24-2007, 07:28 PM
can't imagine having a beatle hit me in the forhead going 100 mph. MOst likely knock you out clean. Had a freind have the lid to an igloo cooler hit him in the head going about 55 mph in his bass boat. It was an older cooler and it left little square marks in red on his forhead. It really did mess him up bad. We had to go home as soon as I quit laughing enough to drive the boat. Sounded like a tire blowing out or shooting a gun. His eyes were crossed for at least 10 minutes. Never did go back for the lid.

joejv4
06-25-2007, 08:27 AM
NOOOO Thankyou!!!!!!

gooch
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Man your nuts for riding with your BIL. Last week I was with some freinds at Cajuns. We were up on the deck overlooking the river watching a 40+ foot floater as big around as a basket ball rollin down the river. It would come up for a few seconds and back down for a few more. We were all talking about what it would do to a boat if you hit it and how it would be almost impossible to see if you were traveling at a high rate of speed. In your case I'm sure it would result in a visit by some emergency response team.

Stick to your stick steer boat. I sure would miss your post of those big ole Nimrod slabs.

Buffy
06-25-2007, 08:41 AM
yet another reason I avoid big rivers, you have not idea how obnoxious you seem to people dealing with your wake. No you didn't 'harm' any one but I'll bet there was more than one bank or shore fisherman cussin you.

skleppe
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
yet another reason I avoid big rivers, you have not idea how obnoxious you seem to people dealing with your wake. No you didn't 'harm' any one but I'll bet there was more than one bank or shore fisherman cussin you.

I have a boat that tops out at 72mph GPS. Love to go fast. Am I bragging, probably, but at that speed I guarantee you there is not much of a wake. Heck, there isn't but a foot and a half of the boat touching the water. You either like it or you dont. Bet you never seen a post of someone complaining about the small boats going slow and being in the way, have you?:cool:

slabbandit
06-26-2007, 12:15 AM
The best thing that a big bass boat can do is come by wide open on plane. Hardly ripples the water. Unless you spend a lot of time on the water a lot of people don't realize this.

skleppe
06-26-2007, 06:48 AM
The best thing that a big bass boat can do is come by wide open on plane. Hardly ripples the water. Unless you spend a lot of time on the water a lot of people don't realize this.

Thanks Slabbandit for speaking up. This is a topic that hits me hard. I have a lake right next door to me that has a ten and under rule from May 25th to September 7 each year. There is a pennisula on this lake full of rich homeowners that fight yearly with the legistlators to keep this in effect. During this period if you have a ten or under, you can run wide open. Take a minute and remember what a ten horse will do pushing a 14 or 16 foot v-bottom with three guys. Two foot rollers, right. But then before or after those dates you can have any horsepower at no wake. At an idle my boat my boat, like many others, produces no wake. Its just that thinking of people and the comments like Buffy's that keeps this lake with the restrictions. The people that live on this lake are the first to be out in their pontoon boats or v-bottom running wide open trying to catch the bassboats with their prop in the water. Unbelievable..................

Buffy
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
I admit I know nothing about when a boat will or won't leave a wake, but I have been slammed up on the shore or almost, when I am just trying to have a quiet day. Two or three boats going by, I don't like noise and motors, I admit that, I am in a kayak for petes sake! rush rush rush, not worth it to me So you guys have the rivers and big lakes. I am very biased, but wouln't the world be boring if we all went 100 mph?
Just out of curisosity, what happens when you slow down or stop? Is it magic?
I must catch those slow fish :)

fishindaddyo
06-26-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't have a boat. I have been on both sides of this debate and my opinion is just that, mine.
I think for a quality fishing experience smaller bodies of water where trolling motors are the only mode of thrust are the best places for fisherpersons to enjoy fishing. If you do choose to fish on a river or a major lake (lake lanier in Ga comes to mind or Buggs here in VA) then you must acknowledge there are others out there sharing the water with you who aren't there to fill a stringer. It comes with the territory like night fishing and mosquitos. I understand anger or resnement if it endangers you or your boat but otherwise it's a moot point IMHO. Wake me when it's over ;)

Kit Papermouth
06-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Get a clear shot of water and light her up. Slow down when you need to and take the corners wide so you have time to react when others are coming the other way. Logs are dangerous at almost any speed on the Rivers.
I get off the lake around 10:00am in the summer so the skiers, tubers and wave runners can have their fun. I don't own the water, so it's acceptable for others to have their fun.

skiptomylu
06-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Well I will add my little story in I guess. Now remember this was like 30 years ago (late 70's) and the world record for a V bottom out board was 111 MPH. I went with a friend that had a boat set up for racing using a Johnson 235 which had just come out and it was not a fishing boat, but still it was unreal and hit 100 MPH in an extremely short time and distance. I was use to the 235 on my bass boat, but this boat was something else. He let me drive it and I thought well I can just back off when it hits say 70 MPH, but I was not use to the acceleration and I punched it and the first time I looked down it was at about 85 so I backed off. However the friend with 2 others in the boat )4 of us in all) ran that thing up to 100 and I was saying let me out of this boat after that.

Man 100 MPH on the water is just too darn fast! That hull was of the same make as the boat that held the record back then. I think he topped that boat out at close to 110 MPH before he flipped it and I am really glad to have missed that experience.

The remarkable thing was how short of time and distance it took that boat to hit 90 MPH, I mean it was so short you couldn't even get to look down at you gages that fast. I think that boat could hit 80 MPH in about 100'.

3's
06-27-2007, 05:43 AM
I used to go to the boat drags at Pisgah bay back in the early 80s and saw a guy run the first blown prop drive to ever run. They didn't even have a class for him so he ran for show. He got on the throttle and about half way down the nose started to lift. He cut back the throttle then right back in it to the end. Even with the blip in the middle he ran a 130 mph 1/4 mile.:eek: Talked to the guy and he said the boat was capable of 160.

My fastest boat was a little 15ft VIP bass boat. It had a tri-hull design and was powered by a 90 merc. The local boat dealer was really into speed so when I took it in for a "tune-up" he did a little extra work for me. New carbs and pistons had me turning 135hp at the prop. Little sucker would hit 70 in a breath. Used to have a ball outrunnig the guys with 140s on their bass boats.

DRPEPPER
06-27-2007, 07:36 AM
You know..it's funny, fishin' didn't even cross my mind!

A bug would probably go through your mind. Like Gooch said, watch out for those logs. We have lost lids off of barges twice this spring and summer because they just pop up under the barge and push stacked lids off. I have never seen or heard of this before in 30 years.
DP