Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Question

I use a 24 volt Minn Kota trolling motor. Here's my question for some of you veterans that have been boat owners for a while now. Is there enough difference in the 30 series batteries verus the 27 series batteries to justify the difference in price? I'm strictly a troller and probably fish 50 or 60 days a year, which can be tough on batteries. I keep them charged and charge them time I get home every trip. I've used both and got about 2 whole years out of both series. Is this normal or did I probably just get a bad 30 series battery? Thanks in advance for any help!
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechappy
    I use a 24 volt Minn Kota trolling motor. Here's my question for some of you veterans that have been boat owners for a while now. Is there enough difference in the 30 series batteries verus the 27 series batteries to justify the difference in price? I'm strictly a troller and probably fish 50 or 60 days a year, which can be tough on batteries. I keep them charged and charge them time I get home every trip. I've used both and got about 2 whole years out of both series. Is this normal or did I probably just get a bad 30 series battery? Thanks in advance for any help!
    crappie c i would'nt know if one would out last the other but i can tell you that if you had another set of batts on stand by so you could use the ones in the boat untill they are used up before charging them, they will have a longer life. most heavy duty marine batts have a life span of 800 charges

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the "series" only describes the size and weight of a battery. You can get a high quality 27 series that will last a lot longer than low end 30 series. The things that you need to be concerned with, that are typically on a battery's label or the spec sheet at the store, are Amp/Hours and number of charge/discharge cycles the battery is rated for. Bigger numbers on both are the better battery.

Sounds like you're doing what you're supposed to by way of keeping them charged when not in use (smart charger - I hope). That, by itself will prolong the life of your batteries.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Series 30 batteries have more reserve amps than series 27. So if the 27's give you all the time trolling you need then by all means stay with them. If you need longer trolling times got with the 30s. Whichever, recharge after every use. They will last much longer by keeping electrolysis from setting in and shorting out plates. Smart charger is definately the way to go.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

27 group batteries are fine for trolling motors, a 27 should get you through a day, if not, then a 30 is your only other choice.

what i do that i believe helps the batteries life span is put it on a maintainer after it is charged and i keep it on the maintainer just about year round. (charge it with 12 amp charger, then transfer to maintainer until next use)

the summer heat is hard on batteries, it speeds up the "self-draining" of the battery, thats why i think the maintainer is so great.

if you have a 2 amp charger, put it on that, that will give it a good trickle charge

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know enough to say anything about 27 Vs 30 series, but the next batteries I buy will cost me more than I ever paid, but from everything I hear the Optima Batteries are the best hands down. Even one of these old cheap country boys told me the only thing wrong with them is the grow hands and legs, LOL! Here is a link, but I also have seen someone say they got them for less at Sam's Club. Everyone to a person tells me they will last at leas 2 or 3 times longer than regular batteries and maybe more.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ries&noImage=0

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!