PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Fish Spots...yep!

Cane Pole
06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone want a birds eye view where I been catching fishes? It is now on Google earth. Unzip this attached file, and click on the icon. If you don't have Google Earth, you will have to load it I think. These are real "spots".

Pretty neat stuff here. Gives an old man something to do.

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Nice little pond you have there Tom.

Ragfly Jig Man
06-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Cane Pole nice looking spot. Do you ever catch them under that bridge?

old fuzzy
06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Google earth and a hummer side scan and a long pole,,,life is good

Cane Pole
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey Cane Pole nice looking spot. Do you ever catch them under that bridge?

Too far North for me.

Get a chance,open the file I sent back up, zoom out on GE until you see the tn state outline and click the red ball. Those are real waypoints..haha neat...

Species
06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Yep, it's great, one time we had permission to fish this soy field pond(s). Well, I decided to check it out on GE a year later, and low and behold, there was another pond we never even knew existed. Turns out that pond had a 7lb Bass with my name on it, ahh good times :)

Ferdi
06-22-2007, 12:20 AM
I'd like to shake your hand and thank you for pointing out Google Earth. My wife would like to wring your neck for pointing out Google Earth. hehehe She will know where to find me though. I will have lots of fun hunting on Sam Rayburn, already have printed off a couple maps to show my fishing partner. One question though, does the details get clearer if you purchase thru Google instead of just using the free download? Don't want to spend money and be disappointed. Always enjoy your posts, keep em comin. Ferdi aka Fred

Glowgood Jigster
06-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I have my Google Earth set up to show all the geocaches on the map, sure had a bunch of them pop up around your fishin' hole! I could spend a week there between fishing and geocaching!

joejv4
06-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Pretty slick! So, Oziexplorer integrates with google earth? Maybe I'm gonna want to ditch TomTom on my ipaq and try out ozie

joejv4
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Since you're sharing... if you're ever in my neck of the woods, here are my marks on my favorite fishin' hole. These aren't imported from GPS, but are from my log book. I simply use my ipaq/TomTom bluetooth setup to note coords when I get into the fish, then move the placemarks to the correct coords in google earth.

Cane Pole
06-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Since you're sharing... if you're ever in my neck of the woods, here are my marks on my favorite fishin' hole. These aren't imported from GPS, but are from my log book. I simply use my ipaq/TomTom bluetooth setup to note coords when I get into the fish, then move the placemarks to the correct coords in google earth.

Never been in your area, but I worked in Burlington,Vt a few months. Got out on Lake Champlain a few times. I went over into Upper State NY. I saw a ski jump ramp (without snow) somewhere in the mountains. Those ski jumpers are nuts!

Tom

joejv4
06-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Never been in your area, but I worked in Burlington,Vt a few months. Got out on Lake Champlain a few times. I went over into Upper State NY. I saw a ski jump ramp (without snow) somewhere in the mountains. Those ski jumpers are nuts!

Tom

That ramp is probably the one at Lake Placid - my sister has a place up there. No way you'd get me on one of those jumps!!!!!

At least you got to see Upstate - so you don't have that mental image of NYC when someone says New York, like most folks from other states seem to have.

The only time that had any real benefit was when I was stationed in San Diego. I had the old yellow NY plates on my car (yeah, I know, that was a long, long time ago) but the nice thing was, that people out there, with the mental image of NYC and crazy drivers, actually would give me more room than they'd give cars with CA plates. made it easier to get around in rush hour traffic :)

Maybe since you're retiring in 2 months and 10 days, you'll have time to take a trip up to NYS. I'd be happy to point you at some good fishing holes in Central NY, and I bet Grizz would put you in some great spots in Western NY.

crappiechaser2
06-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Tom, nice post....What size of an area do all those spots cover?...I have done a little fishing in swamp creek but not this area. Not to far away...Thanks for putting this on the site.:D

ShilohRed
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Anyone want a birds eye view where I been catching fishes? It is now on Google earth. Unzip this attached file, and click on the icon. If you don't have Google Earth, you will have to load it I think. These are real "spots".

Pretty neat stuff here. Gives an old man something to do.

Tom just to let you know I have sure enjoyed Google Earth. And use it 4 or 5 times per week now.
Those fishing spots you marked, When is a good time of year to fish them?
What water depth would I need to fish in Big Sandy river around Christmas? I hope to get out 5 or 6 times around then. The wife is off for 2 weeks. And the company truck of hers has free gas.:D So we will sure use it to tow the boat all we can. Sure wish she was off work more. Love that company gas card . We can use it like its our and they pay for the gas. Now if they would only do it in the boat.:(
Pete

DTG
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Canepole was you there yesterday(sat). somebody was there for a while, we come by but didnt see many fish showing.

Cane Pole
12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Canepole was you there yesterday(sat). somebody was there for a while, we come by but didnt see many fish showing.

Wasn't me. I'll be there this week though. Wed-Sat.

DTG
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
thats why you catch so many ,fishing weekdays. the fish we caught yesterday stunk worse than anything,other than my sons diapers.

GRIZZ
12-10-2007, 05:09 AM
What I find interesting about that view is the water clarity of that branch of the lake compared to the rest of the lake and how clearly the map shows the flow of the silty water as opposed to the clear branch water. Is it always like that?

For those of you that would like a much closer and clearer view of your spots, check out maps.live.com. Its has a birds eye view option that is from aerial photography and is much closer than anything available from satilite online. Unfortuantly, they havn't taken the photos everywhere and isn't available for the spot Cane pointed out, but if your from the areas that have it, then your gonna get knocked out by the views. Sorry to those guys who are gonna have to spend hours looking at those maps again. I know I have spent many hours pouring over those aerial/birds-eye shots of my own stomping grounds. Some of the shots are closer than others, but the close ones almost seem like your invading peoples privacy. I know I typically show my computer customers shots of thier homes while I'm teaching them, and they are usually a bit opened mouthed about the clarity and closeness of these shots of thier homes that anyone can go online and get. You sure can get sweet closeups of your fishing spots as well.

Its too bad there isn't more rural coverage of ARK, because you could easily see the exposed super-mats that Darryl+Jerry have been putting down if the pics were recent enough. I know the pics of my area were taked in march 2 yrs ago. I can tell by the progress of building projects when it was taken.

Here are a few screenies. In order - a shot of downtown Cato, NY, 2 shot of one of my hike in crappie holes - the road in the pic is blocked off at both ends and is about 1.5 miles in either direction from that spot, and the last 2 shot are of one of my favorite spots on Chautauqua I call Iron Bouy Point. The net you see off the point in the last 2 pics are muskie nets used by the NYDEC to collect breeder muskies to collect eggs in the spring. You should see the toothy monsters swimming around in those.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Cato.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Dolof.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Dolof1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/IronBouypt1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/IronBouypt.jpg

camofish
12-11-2007, 05:35 AM
wow, those are awesome. Do you need to register and give money for this software, or is it just a shareware kind of thing?

The maps and satilite images are totally awesome looking.

GRIZZ
12-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Its just the website for all to use, and I use it all the time. maps.live.com Make sure you have 2 or 3 hours the first time you use it. Its as addictive as youtube.

Cane Pole
12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Its just the website for all to use, and I use it all the time. maps.live.com Make sure you have 2 or 3 hours the first time you use it. Its as addictive as youtube.

Yep. I like the ability to switch views between map and aerial. Neat. Thanks Grizz.

camofish
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
cool..Looks like I'm going to have to finally check it out. :eek: :cool: