Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Customization

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Customization

So, I'm out in the garage the other day looking at my boat. All of a suddon, I start thinking "What if I did this, or that" and "I bet I can move that, cut that out, put that there".....

Mind you, my boat is perfectly fine, doesn't really need anything, and is solid.

What I am thinking of doing is:

Replacing both portable gas tanks with a single stationary w/ fill line.

Making a drivers seat bench that runs the full width of the boat with another seat at one end. I will also hinge it, so the whole bench flips up for storage.

Behind the seats, build a carpeted box that fills in the entire area with a pole mounted bass seat.This will be elevated above the backs of the seats, kinda like a bass boat. I will also gain a ton of storage, so I will make trap doors for things, maybe even put in a live well. By doing this, I will not be able to access the gas tanks near the transom, so that's why I want a stationary one.

Next, I was thinking of removing the single seat on the front deck, and putting two in there for back trolling. I see alot of people on the site have this, and would work well on my boat. I plan on adding a new fish finder up front and a foot controlled trolling motor. Underneith the front deck, I have a ton of storage I dont use because the trap door is too small. I will probably replace the decking and rig the doors differently. I also have a small livewell with aerator that I use for minnows, which I will move infront of the seats.

I plan on building most of the stuff with 2x4's and carpeting everything ofcourse.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy for doing this to my boat? Could this turn out to be a disaster? I'm pretty handy in carpentry and you know Pops will be over barking ideas and orders

This will be a winter project!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-21-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

2x4' make lousy gas tanks

Seriously, I think folks would need to see a picture of you boat the way it is today to get an idea of how the things you're talking about would work out.

Without seeing it, the only thing that really stood out to me was the bench seat that goes from side to side - not for me because that means climbing over it getting from bow to stern. I like boats that I can walk most anywhere and not have stuff get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, it between the two seats will be a step. I don't see it being a big problem, should have plenty of room. Here's a pic of the same boat as mine 1000x worse condition, but exactly the same layout.

-Matt

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To modify or not to modify is the question.

:D Use the "WFM" method as you evaluate your projects, or the "WW" method.

Is this going to help me catch Crappie? Is this going to help me get organized? Is this gonna look cool. If you say WFM then it's a go!:D

There are a few other posts on this forum where people have done stuff to their boats. I've seen a few nice storage compartments built on Jon boats. The important thing is "What works for you and the way YOU fish!

WFM = "Works For Me" WW = Whatever works. :D :D :D :D

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ship.WFM Make sure that any wood you use is pressure treated or use a good primer sealer on it to help protect it from water rot.
    I've been doing a few alterations on a "89 15' Bayliner run-about myself, using the WFM method..
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta agree with shipahoy. If it works for you, go for it.

Me, I'd probably make a center console so I could have access all along both sides, but that might not work for someone else. The WFM method is your best bet - make it yours! Besides, if you get done customizing it and find that something doesn't work for you, by then you'll be real good at it and it should be easy to make it the way that works for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes this winter. I'm sure most of us would like to see the before and after photos (and photos of the slabs you get next year)

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat is layed out like that and in better shape i would not touch it,except for putting some rod holders on the front deck, my opinon i like the walking room with out stepping over anything