Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone else having problems with lake weeds?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else having problems with lake weeds?

I fished Saturday with no problems with lake weeds but when I went back on Sunday it was everywhere, floating on the surface and just below it. I wanted to pull crank baits for crappie but gave up, frustrated since every time I put a crank bait out I would reel it in to find it loaded with lake weeds. As I mentioned, the day before I didn't even notice any weeds. Is there something that triggers the weeds to release from the bottom? Temperature? Seasonal? I see weeds on the bottom in plenty parts of the lake but I have never had the problem with them on the surface as it was yesterday. Any weedologists out there?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to fight weeds, come and fish Beaverdam with me. The weeds were everywhere on Sunday. I don't know about Saturday.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

If you were in NY I'd say it was from all the "bassers" flying around in their bass boats and chopping weeds loose with their props Saturday (opening day of regular bass season). But since you're not in NY... I don't know what you've go going on - weeds releasing from the bottom doesn't sound natural at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I fished Saturday with no problems with lake weeds but when I went back on Sunday it was everywhere, floating on the surface and just below it. I wanted to pull crank baits for crappie but gave up, frustrated since every time I put a crank bait out I would reel it in to find it loaded with lake weeds. As I mentioned, the day before I didn't even notice any weeds. Is there something that triggers the weeds to release from the bottom? Temperature? Seasonal? I see weeds on the bottom in plenty parts of the lake but I have never had the problem with them on the surface as it was yesterday. Any weedologists out there?
    Hey Tap,

We have that problem down here too. but it comes from wave action in the bay ripping up what looks like millfoil. it can reek havoc on your lures. I bought some weedless jigs from charlie brewer for just that reason. Now I will longline weedless jigs in these situations. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall what it is called, or what I have always heard it called is the lake turning. Its not really turning but certain times of the year, the moss releases and floats to the top of the water. I am here in Lufin Texas visiting my Folks and when my and my Son walked across the street to a couple of ponds it was great, the next day they had moss all over the top.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911