Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bite is Getting Tough

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bite is Getting Tough

Managed 2 crappie both 8" friday night. The bite has been getting tough and is slowing down. Hope it picks up soon. My jigs have outfished minnows everytrip this season but this one the 2 were taking on minnows. First skunk with my jigs this season. I had hits but didnt hook up. Hope it picks up!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to hang on to the bite myself. Always get's tough this time of year for me as well. With the heat and humidity even at night it makes it tough to stay persistent. Good luck in your pursuit!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been getting a boat lift installed and the weather has been really stormy so I have not even been in a couple of weeks at lest and I am having withdrawals I think.

Last couple of times out though it had slowed here pretty bad. I was able to catch a few crappie each time out, but nothing to take a pic of for sure!

It is the time of year I fish mostly at night so I am looking forward to that soon.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Need to change tactics. We've been finding them 3-4 feet down in 7-10 FOW. Not exactly where I'd expect them, but that's where we're catching them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    Need to change tactics. We've been finding them 3-4 feet down in 7-10 FOW. Not exactly where I'd expect them, but that's where we're catching them.
    I usually can catch them in that kind of water here until the first of June, but by then many have started to transition to deeper water. I did catch a couple of dinks in that kind of water about 2 weeks ago when putting out some stump lines for a few kitties and decided to fish for 10 minutes before going back home. I was surprised to find any that shallow of water, but that is down here in East Texas and I would think up in NY that they stay shallow later in the year than they do down here huh?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite crappie hole is a 255 acre pond, and 8-10' is as deep as it gets (there are a couple small holes that get as deep as 12'), so I'm gonna say that ours have migrated to the deep water already My guess is that as warm as the water is, they are finding more oxygen up closer to the surface than down near the bottom, and that's where we're catching them. The pond must be close to overpopulated with crappie - we generally only get one or two an outing that are 11". Usually get close to a limit of legal 9" fish and probably 3 times the limit of 8 - 8.5" fish that we'll look for next year when they are a little bigger. Once we get deeper than 5 feet, we catch them no matter where we go on the pond, so either they aren't schooling, or there is one huge school covering about 100 acres!