PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Recommendation

dedfish
06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on a good transom-mount hand-controlled trolling motor? I want to stick with 12V so obviously that limits the amount of thrust I can get, but I want to get the most bang for my buck. It'll be for a 14' Jon.

slabmaster09
06-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Anything minn-kota!!!

dedfish
06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Anything minn-kota!!!

Yeah, I have an old Minn-Kota now... still works good but I want something with more power. :p

I'm thinking about 55lbs is the most you're going to get out of a 12v motor.

slabmaster09
06-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah i think thats about all you can get on a 12 volt.

harpenter
06-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I've got an old Minn that's still running great - 34 lbs. of thrust.

crappiekiller2
06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
I had a 55 lb minn kota on a 16' jon boat, could almost pull a waterskier. :D
It would pull the boat pretty fast. Minn Kota all the way...:)

jh_blount
06-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Anything minn-kota!!!

Amen. . . .:D

semocrappie
06-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I just bought a 50lb thrust minn kota at walmart for around 209.00 and put it on a 14' boat and unless the wind is up I'm a little over powered for trolling even at the lowest speed setting. I think you will find a 50 to 55 lb plenty. Hope this helps!

J White
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
What everybody else said MK :D - and the infinite variable speed is
worth the extra $ - this gets you the maximizer circuitry too, so a charge
will last longer. And if you like to slow troll, you can slow it down so slow
you can count the blade going around.

dedfish
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
semocrappie, which did you get exactly?

J White, any specific recommendations on a model?

crappiekiller2, that's kind of what I'm going for. :D

ShilohRed
06-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Jwhite is right. Also look at the 3x steer also. Allows you to turn the motor all the way around and not move the handle but 180 degrees.
Pete

Cane Pole
06-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I go a Minn Kota with autopilot/copilot for Xmas (from me to me). I love it. It is ideal for pushing, pulling, spider rigging, etc. I just don't know how to push and pull and spider rig yet. I am trying to teach myself. I got the " how to tangle lines up" part down pat though! Nice thing about the copilot is just being able to get up and walk around and stretch and still steer the boat. PRICELESS!

Retrieve and deploy sux, but I am gonna fix that part on mine soon.

ShilohRed
06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Retrieve and deploy sux, but I am gonna fix that part on mine soon.

What problems do you have retrieving and deploying it?
Pete

Kokomo Bob
06-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Cane Pole, I got the same thing for Christmas and yesterday I ground the front humps down on the cradle and repolished them. Don't know how it will work yet but can't be any worse on the deploy. I don't have any trouble with retrieve.
What are you thinking about doing to yours? If my idea don't work I might want to try yours.
Silicone spray only lasts about one time for me.
I can't believe the MK engineers did this.
Thanks ahead for any info.
Bob

ShilohRed
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Cane Pole, I got the same thing for Christmas and yesterday I ground the front humps down on the cradle and repolished them. Don't know how it will work yet but can't be any worse on the deploy. I don't have any trouble with retrieve.
What are you thinking about doing to yours? If my idea don't work I might want to try yours.
Bob

I have never had any problems with mine. I place my left had on the shaft and press down and push forward and its as easy as pie.
Everyone that I have showed how to deploy one has no problems after doing it this way.
Pete

Kokomo Bob
06-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Shiloh, which motor do you have? My older one was easy as pie also but everybody I talk to is having trouble with these.
A friend of mine was so P Oed, he took his new one off and put his old one back on.
Maybe it's just us old men that have trouble. LOL

J White
06-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Dedfish, I've got a Maxxum on the transom now, it has been a good motor,
only minor gripe is that the handle doesn't telescope (pull out).
It tilts, but don't get no longer. I have to use a extension handle on it,
and ain't real crazy about it. It is not real strong, "gives" when you push
on it to steer, and works loose, have to keep re-tightening it.

The Vector I think has a handle that pulls out pretty long, I think I'd like
that better. I have heard a lot of good stuff about that 3X steering
Shilohred mentioned too, but haven't got a "hands on" with one yet :)

ShilohRed
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Shiloh, which motor do you have? My older one was easy as pie also but everybody I talk to is having trouble with these.
A friend of mine was so P Oed, he took his new one off and put his old one back on.
Mine is the M/K 65 lb powerdrive auto pilot. I think its around 3 years old. The one that everyone hates as its hard to deploy. I for one after learning how to do it. Have never had the first problem with it.
Pete

Cane Pole
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Mine is the M/K 65 lb powerdrive auto pilot. I think its around 3 years old. The one that everyone hates as its hard to deploy. I for one after learning how to do it. Have never had the first problem with it.
Pete

I got the V2 motor Pete. I push hard to release it, but it is hard to deploy with arthritic hands. I gonna extend the deploy lever about 6 inches and curve the handle out from the shaft somewhat for more leverage.

No problem pulling the motor up out of the water. It is rotating the motor 90 degrees and getting it in the docking cradle and locking it down that sucks.
I have to use the top of the TM and the cord at top of TM to get it docked.

crappiekiller2
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I've got last years auto pilot and its hard to deploy.
getting it hooked back up is not so hard, I just grab the motor and pull back up until it clicks. its easier to turn the motor hanging on to it than trying to turn the motor with the shaft.

Cane Pole
06-19-2007, 08:16 PM

I think ur right Bob. It must be us old men...haha

Billy2
06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Bob
The humps are not your problem, the two little small pads on either side of
the frame is the problem. I bought a new 65# thrust this year and had the
same problem in deploying it. I fixed mine by removing the cover from each
side, drove the chrome like pin outward, this made the pads a liitle loose.
Oiled the pads, between pad and frame with transmission fluid. OK now.

Cane Pole
06-20-2007, 09:15 PM
The humps are not your problem, the two little small pads on either side of
the frame is the problem. I bought a new 65# thrust this year and had the
same problem in deploying it. I fixed mine by removing the cover from each
side, drove the chrome like pin outward, this made the pads a liitle loose.
Oiled the pads, between pad and frame with transmission fluid. OK now.

got any pictures of this fix?

Barnacle Bill
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Here is a fix for those hard to deploy MKs. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=26446&highlight=deploy

Cane Pole
06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Here is a fix for those hard to deploy MKs. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=26446&highlight=deploy

page didn't come up Bill.

HurricaneJM
06-20-2007, 10:07 PM
you can get a great deal on the 36 lb Endura by minn kota. 55 lbs is the most for 12 volts.

is it for primary propulsion? if so, i would go with a 55 lb setup

Ken Kinser
06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Motorguide

Billy2
06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Cane Pole,...I don't have a picture of my fix, but it's not hard to do
what I did. THe info. that IBNFSHN was trying to get to you was to trim
a little bit off of these pads, or @ least I think that's what he would suggest
that you do.This is not a big thing either. THese little pads put too much
pressure on the side frames causing it way too hard to deploy. Hope this
helps.

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Cane Pole,...I don't have a picture of my fix, but it's not hard to do
what I did. THe info. that IBNFSHN was trying to get to you was to trim
a little bit off of these pads, or @ least I think that's what he would suggest
that you do.This is not a big thing either. THese little pads put too much
pressure on the side frames causing it way too hard to deploy. Hope this
helps.

Yep, thats it Billy. Take the 2 side covers off and you will see a hard rubber pad on each side. Take about 1/8th inch off the top of each one. I used a box cutter and 1/8th drill bit in a dremel. So far I've done mine and 2 friend's motors. It helps a whole lot.

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Here is the whole article as recommended by a Minnkota rep.
Here ya go! There are two approaches to solving this "hard deploy" problem. I would suggest you use the motor as-is for a bit. Sometimes they loosen up on their own -- mine didn't. What's causing the problem is that the hard rubber blocks are compressed by the tab just above it as the motor is stowed. That happens when the area I show as being ground down (see yellow stars) hits the base plate. Through a linkage, the tabs squeeze the blocks. I recommend that you trim just a little off the top of the rubber block (between the block and the tab). Take no more than 1/16-inch off each one. If that doesn't help, then you need a air driven or electric die-grinder and go after the area marked by the yellow starts. Again, use patience, and take off only a little at a time. Mine now works very well. You don't want to take off so much material that the motor flops around under way.

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM
BTW, I've never had to do the grinding method.

wannabe fisherman
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
IBNFSHIN
I tried all 3 links and all I got was page not found.:confused:

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 06:39 PM
IBNFSHIN
I tried all 3 links and all I got was page not found.:confused:

Try it now. The 1st pic was bad but just showed a front view of the blocks.

Cane Pole
06-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Yep, thats it Billy. Take the 2 side covers off and you will see a hard rubber pad on each side. Take about 1/8th inch off the top of each one. I used a box cutter and 1/8th drill bit in a dremel. So far I've done mine and 2 friend's motors. It helps a whole lot.

What did u use the drill bit for?

ShilohRed
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Tom as soon as I get where I can walk and get out the house. I will make a video of how to deploy the trolling motor. Everyone that has seen me deploy mine this way. Never has any problems with theres again.
Its easy
Pete

Cane Pole
06-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Tom as soon as I get where I can walk and get out the house. I will make a video of how to deploy the trolling motor. Everyone that has seen me deploy mine this way. Never has any problems with theres again.
Its easy
Pete

OK Pete. You doing better? Get well soon. I got 2 months til I retire. It is fishing time almost!

ShilohRed
06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
OK Pete. You doing better? Get well soon. I got 2 months til I retire. It is fishing time almost!

Tom about all that I am doing is. Getting up long enough to make it to the bathroom. and take a few more pain pills. And that is it.
Pete

Barnacle Bill
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM
What did u use the drill bit for?

I got as much as I could with box cutters then used the drill bit to get the rest. I guess I needed a longer blade.