Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Close Does Your GPS Get You?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Close Does Your GPS Get You?

Just wondering how close you can get back to a spot by using your GPS? Within how many feet? Is your GPS 'Hand Held' or 'Fixed' to the boat?

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lowrance h2oc, & I'm very pleased with it. I have a ram mount that I attach to the boat, to make my handheld sort of "pseudo-fixed". That thing is dead on. once you have a waypoint marked, it is right on it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Garmin unit in my truck regularly has a position error less than 10'.

My Lowrance unit consistently has a position error of 7'.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

While on this subject my GPS 72 has something called average location and if I read this correctly it will take a location reading about every second and average them out, don't know how many. It will stabilize the estimated accuracy and then you hit enter and it will be saved as that location. Seems like that would make it more accurate, is that right? Don't know in feet how accurate mine is but I can get on my spots with-in a few minutes with the troll motor. The only thing about it is the pointer will not point correctly unless you have a little speed but the distance to will count down if you are headed in the right direction, I use the pointer page.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a hand held and mounted Lowrance. They both put me right on. I think a common mistake is people do not mark their waypoints correctly. As soon as you see a brush pile on the right side of your screen, you are over it. The longer you wait to mark it, the further off you will be. Especially if you are going any speed.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Map Marine GPS76 handheld. With the WAAS enabled it puts me right on the money every time. With the screen zoomed in to 30' when the cursor is over my waypoint I can see the brush on my sonar unit. If you click on the informative articles link in my sig below there is an article I wrote "How to use your GPS." It may help some that are trying to make it more difficult than it is especially if your trying to use the "go to" function which is not needed.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance h20c and when I turn on waas enable, I loose my signal every time. Does anyone else have that problem?
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried to measure it, but using my Lowrance LCX 27C (WAAS) I was trying to find a underwater stump that is about 6" Dia. and I looked at my screen and it looked like I was very close and it should be some where on the Left side of my boat and so I walked over to that side and there it was about 3'-4' away from my boat.

I would say it's very close to on spot. I think the 7" screen helps too along with the good pixel count.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

LMS 480.... 3ft
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechaser2
    I have a Lowrance h20c and when I turn on waas enable, I loose my signal every time. Does anyone else have that problem?
    The RAA-3 external antenna helps a whole lot. http://www.lei-extras.com/store/sear...Held+Accessory
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast