Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bridge fishing and current?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bridge fishing and current?

How many fish bridges along rivers with current?
    The ones I am talking about have lots of current most days. the concrete does like most bridges. It does not go solid to the bottom. About low water level is solid, Then below that the concrete is sitting on cones of concrete. So there for theres lots of spots for the fish to hide under them also.
    Just trying to get an ideal on how to fish them with current?
    Pete

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Red ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Just trying to get an ideal on how to fish them with current?
    Pete
    Pete ... I always fish them starting on the down current side, in the eddy water portion ... then move towards where the current is coming from. I make my presentation so that the bait will come back towards me with the current. Fish will position themselves facing any current flow. If feeding, they will "expect" food to be washed to them by the current, so they will hang in the eddy water and pick off anything washed by.
    In cases of low or little current, I start on the shady side of the down current section of bridge pilon (if available) ... and work my way deeper, if necessary/possible, when the shade is gone or not present (depth is its own form of security, like shade is when present). Depth can also be a relief from current, as can any bottom cover/structure that's present.
    One of the most productive situations, for using the Vertical Casting technique, comes around bridge pilons. That's actually where I first started using the technique, around bridge pilons.
    The heavier the flow, the smaller the eddy water zone will be ... but, if the fish are there, they'll be bunched up tight in that zone.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cp
    I will give it a try as soon as I get where I can walk good enough to get in the boat again.
    Pete