Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broke one of my mitchell zero gravity rods yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default broke one of my mitchell zero gravity rods yesterday

And it wasn't even on a fish... I was pulling some line off the reel to tie on a new jig because the drag was fairly loose and the rod just snapped right in the area where you connect the tip section and the butt section. Really sad because the sensitivity on that rod made it my favorite rod to fish with.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved those rods -- wish they'd bring them back.

Post Thanks / Like

you can buy them on ebay $60 for 2 of them including shipping.. I may buy some more those rods are awesome and the guy who sells them is great too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Ouch ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff213
    And it wasn't even on a fish... I was pulling some line off the reel to tie on a new jig because the drag was fairly loose and the rod just snapped right in the area where you connect the tip section and the butt section. Really sad because the sensitivity on that rod made it my favorite rod to fish with.
    that had to hurt !! Must have had a pinch or crush damage to that area, unknown to you.
    I have two ZG's myself. Paid $50 apiece for them, back many years ago. First true UL, or actually micro-lite, rods I ever owned. Love them for casting light jigs on 4lb line.
    Mine are the ZG66LS model. What model is your "broken" one ? If it's the same one, or is close to this model ... I have a question : what'cha gonna do with the tip section ? Reason I ask is ... I need a tip eye for one of mine. The inner guide ring is gone from it, and I could use a new tip eye ... but, those puppies are so tiny, it's hard to find a replacement. If you're going to trash the broken rod, would you take $5 for the rod tip ?? All I would want is the tip eye and the last couple of inches of rod (still attached). PM me for further discussion. And, if you're keeping the broken rod components for "spares" ... I understand, no problem.

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I feel really bad I already threw the thing out.. Its actually not even the original zero gravity front half of the rod. The top section is re-engineered and re-made. I got an extra top section from the guy I bought the rods from on ebay though so Its okay for me.. sorry about tossing it.

If you want to buy more of them I would reccomend searching for mitchell zero gravity rods on ebay though. These ones are great and end up costing $30 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Mitchell-Zero-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the guy I bought them from. I would reccomend his rods.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jeff ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff213
    I feel really bad I already threw the thing out.. Its actually not even the original zero gravity front half of the rod. The top section is re-engineered and re-made. I got an extra top section from the guy I bought the rods from on ebay though so Its okay for me.. sorry about tossing it.
    If you want to buy more of them I would reccomend searching for mitchell zero gravity rods on ebay though. These ones are great and end up costing $30 each.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Mitchell-Zero-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Thats the guy I bought them from. I would reccomend his rods.

Don't worry about it. I still have the one good one. And I really haven't looked all that hard for a tip for the other. I just thought it would be of benefit for both of us, if the tip eye was going to be trashed anyway. Glad you're still good to go.

Anyone looking for a super light panfish rod, should really look into these. They are frail, and won't take much (if any) abuse, but they really are a hoot to fish with.

I know some rod builders, so I may just contact them and see if they have a tip eye that's small enough to work. I could still use it, in a pinch, since it still has the outer shell/ring of the tip eye ... it just doesn't have the insert. But, that'll probably never happen, since I have several other rods that I enjoy fishing with ... even if they aren't nearly as light in weight.

Enjoy your ZG's, my friend ... and thanks for the eBay link.

.... cp

Warmouth Guest

Default Mitchell Zero Gravity Rods

Hi Pappy,

Although I am a registered member of Crappie.com I have not posted till today. I just had to reply to this thread. Read with great interest your need for a tip-top guide etc. for your Zero Gravity. Just to let you know, I am the inventor and the designer of the Zero Gravity rod series. I was Brand Manager for Mitchell from 1990-1997. This is one great rod although they were fragile. I still have several tips etc. laying around. I would be more than happy to send you one NC. Just send me your address. I have been in the fishing tackle business going on 31 years. My career has spanned Berkley(Pure Fishing), Zebco/Quantum, JWA (Mitchell/Johnson/MinnKota) and I have been with Frabill now for ten years. I was also the originator of Zebco Rhino Rods, Mitchell Fulcrum Rods, Spidercast rods and reels etc. I really enjoy this site and especially many of your posts as it appears you are well versed in the sport. If you would like to correspond directly with me my email is [email protected]. Nearing retirement and the misses and I are seriously looking around Paducah/KY lake area. I look forward to hearing back from you.--Warmouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks, Warmouth ...

Quote Originally Posted by Warmouth
    Hi Pappy,

Although I am a registered member of Crappie.com I have not posted till today. I just had to reply to this thread. Read with great interest your need for a tip-top guide etc. for your Zero Gravity. Just to let you know, I am the inventor and the designer of the Zero Gravity rod series. I was Brand Manager for Mitchell from 1990-1997. This is one great rod although they were fragile. I still have several tips etc. laying around. I would be more than happy to send you one NC. Just send me your address. I have been in the fishing tackle business going on 31 years. My career has spanned Berkley(Pure Fishing), Zebco/Quantum, JWA (Mitchell/Johnson/MinnKota) and I have been with Frabill now for ten years. I was also the originator of Zebco Rhino Rods, Mitchell Fulcrum Rods, Spidercast rods and reels etc. I really enjoy this site and especially many of your posts as it appears you are well versed in the sport. If you would like to correspond directly with me my email is [email protected]. Nearing retirement and the misses and I are seriously looking around Paducah/KY lake area. I look forward to hearing back from you.--Warmouth.
    Email sent.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I just contacted the guy who sold me the rods originally and hes selling me 5 of the top sections of the rods for $11 each + shipping.. wow I think I am set on my favorite rod on earth for quite a while!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast