Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smallmouth on Chicken Breast - Believe It or Not

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smallmouth on Chicken Breast - Believe It or Not

Tait Rassel and his Dad, Phillip, came up from Atlanta this morning, their second trip with www.ScenicCityFishing.com to chase some catfish. Of course everybody knows my affinity to chicken breast for catfish bait. Now I like it even MORE! :grin: Tait had captured several fish this morning and then on one drift I saw him set the hook. I was looking backwards guiding our drift when he said, "Wow, I've got a jumpin' fish." Figuring he just had a big cat rolling on top I turned around in time to see a super smallmouth burst out of the water about 3 feet in the air. Yes, it's true... a trophy smallmouth on chicken breast! Call me flabbergasted. I can only figure the light color looked like a shad scootin' through the water. That big brown dude stayed in the air more than he did in the water and proceeded to run Tait from one end of the boat to other, multiple times. What a battle, which as you see, Tait won. 4.6 lbs on my new Bill Dance digital scale. And then as it was time to leave Tait nailed a cat that had him bowed down yet again. This one weighed in at 21.6... on the light tackle it took many minutes to put him in the bottom of the boat. We had the standard "bunch" of 3,'s, 6's and a ten or two. Needless to say the Rassel's say they'll be back.

Last edited by rsimms; 07-28-2007 at 04:59 AM.
    Richard Simms
    Editor, CrappieNOW

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice cat and smallmouth! Looks like he had a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice cat, but the smallie is the impressive part!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harpenter
    Nice cat, but the smallie is the impressive part!
    You're right that is impressive.

Now that I think about it, as a kid I caught a largemouth fishing on the bottom with shrimp. May not ever do it again, but it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Great fish i have caught a 6lb largemouth on chicken livers fishing for catfish myself.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rsimms] Needless to say the Rassel's say they'll be back.

Needless to say - after an outing like that, they'd be nuts to not be back!!!

Nice fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking fish. Both of them. I have never used chicken breast to catfish with. sounds kind of expensive. I made me some catfish bait that works pretty good if you have a good treble hook with a sponge on it. Made it by taking cow liver and crawfish and grinding them down im my wife blender. Yes all I did get my butt in trouble lol. Tore her blender up to lol.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange things happen while fishing. Love to catch those Smallmouth Bass. But man those Chicken breasts are for fry'n! We use the livers and intestines for bait.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs