PDA

View Full Version : Help mounting transducer

LA_poorboy
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Guys,

I tried mounting my transducer of a little Cuda 168 sonar that I've got. I worked fine mounted to my trolling motor but it turned my Minn Kota into a weed magnet.

Is it a no-no to drill holes through the transom of my Jon boat to use the "transom mount bracket" that came with my sonar?

If is use rubber washers will that keep the water out or will I have to use a silicon sealant or something?

Thanks.

TapOut64
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
The transom of my boat has numerous holes through it. I always use a silicone sealant and haven't had so much as a drop leak into my boat.

Most importantly, mount the transducer where you do most of your fishing from. If you're always up front then leave it on the trolling motor, the weeds are only seasonal.

Barnacle Bill
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Use one of these. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=9153&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
Then years from now after it is full of holes all you have to do is replace it. Yes, use marine silicone to seal the screws.

superdave1984
06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
3M makes some NASA quality double sided tape that is waterproof. I got a strip of it from a vendor at the hospital where I work. He says you stick something clean to something clean and you can't get it off without a chisle or a torch. I haven't tried it on anything yet.

LA_poorboy
06-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the help and advice!

Tunica
06-15-2007, 06:00 AM
I quit drilling holes in My boats I use one of those mounting brackets you fasten to the transom. Works fine for Me

Humminbird_Greg
06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Superdave1984 is right: the Marine Grade VHB (Very High Bond) double sided adhesive tape from 3M is incredibly strong. It’s what we package with our stick-on transducers. When everything thing is roughed up and cleaned, you best hope that you stick it where you want it because it just doesn’t come off. Although we don’t sell or suggest using it on bigger transom mount transducers, we’ve mounted a few of these for temporary testing at speeds in excess of 70mph! The problem you will have is in removing whatever you have used it on: transducers, unit mounts, GPS pucks… doesn’t matter this stuff is great! Expensive but works great for temporary mounts - just be sure to use enough pressure to activate the adhesive and it will be there for many years.

I like the transducer mounting plates as well and would recommend them. Also like the clamp on brackets that some sell and some make at home – they all work well.