Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help mounting transducer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help mounting transducer

Guys,

I tried mounting my transducer of a little Cuda 168 sonar that I've got. I worked fine mounted to my trolling motor but it turned my Minn Kota into a weed magnet.

Is it a no-no to drill holes through the transom of my Jon boat to use the "transom mount bracket" that came with my sonar?

If is use rubber washers will that keep the water out or will I have to use a silicon sealant or something?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The transom of my boat has numerous holes through it. I always use a silicone sealant and haven't had so much as a drop leak into my boat.

Most importantly, mount the transducer where you do most of your fishing from. If you're always up front then leave it on the trolling motor, the weeds are only seasonal.
    Last edited by TapOut64; 06-14-2007 at 05:06 PM.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use one of these. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
    Then years from now after it is full of holes all you have to do is replace it. Yes, use marine silicone to seal the screws.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

3M makes some NASA quality double sided tape that is waterproof. I got a strip of it from a vendor at the hospital where I work. He says you stick something clean to something clean and you can't get it off without a chisle or a torch. I haven't tried it on anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

I quit drilling holes in My boats I use one of those mounting brackets you fasten to the transom. Works fine for Me

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm stuck on 3M VHB!

Superdave1984 is right: the Marine Grade VHB (Very High Bond) double sided adhesive tape from 3M is incredibly strong. It’s what we package with our stick-on transducers. When everything thing is roughed up and cleaned, you best hope that you stick it where you want it because it just doesn’t come off. Although we don’t sell or suggest using it on bigger transom mount transducers, we’ve mounted a few of these for temporary testing at speeds in excess of 70mph! The problem you will have is in removing whatever you have used it on: transducers, unit mounts, GPS pucks… doesn’t matter this stuff is great! Expensive but works great for temporary mounts - just be sure to use enough pressure to activate the adhesive and it will be there for many years.

I like the transducer mounting plates as well and would recommend them. Also like the clamp on brackets that some sell and some make at home – they all work well.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can