Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making your own Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making your own Rod

I have asked not long ago about jig tying. Years ago I went with my Dad to a guys place who made his own Rods. I guess he bought the fiberglass and put the eyes and all on them. Does anyone do this and if so I would really love to try this also.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard from several sources that it's easier than jig tying. There's lots of info on the web about it.

I've toyed with the idea just so I could make some rods with Tennessee handles.

Any rod companies reading this? Tennessee handles rule! Down with graphite reel seats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by father of 4
    I have asked not long ago about jig tying. Years ago I went with my Dad to a guys place who made his own Rods. I guess he bought the fiberglass and put the eyes and all on them. Does anyone do this and if so I would really love to try this also.
    You can probably find a good bit of info at this site and their boards.
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I starting making rods about a year ago and have sold some custom one for over $300.00. I would however argue with the comment that it may be easier than jigs. Rodbuilding.org is a great site as is rodguild.com. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

i've been turning rods for about 7 years,i would not say it's easier than making jigs,bit it's not to hard to do,skleppe gave a good place to look for info...mudhole also has a few videos you can watch too.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with building rods these days is that if your just doing 1 at a time the components cost so much you may as well just go buy a nice rod. I've built a few rods and would like to take it up again, but they just want too much for blanks and eyes now. There is a special satisfaction using your own rods and also a special pain if you break one you built.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default your own rod

Made about 10 of them in the past, for my own use. Two of them are still around, both fiberglass, great rods for crank bait trolling, with braided line.But today its just too darn expensive, unless you like doing things to kill time.Good long one piece blanks are hard for me to find,and lets face it, at my age the wraps get a little fuzzy, the epoxy a little more slip shod, Lots of luck in your endevors, I'll just fish.My reason for the first one was the no reel seat concept,wish they would make them that way .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all of you. It does look kind of expensive to do. I am here in east Texas right now at my folks. There is a lot of cane here. Have any of you built a rod out of cane before? Just wandering. Like I said I know nothing about it. I have fished all my younger years with a cane pole.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

For a great rod it might cost more than a Wal-Mart rod, but you will get much more enjoyment knowing the fish you just put in the livewell or cooler came off something You built. Someone starting out making their own jigs, the first thousand are pretty expensive, but its the knowing its something You created. I mainly fished St Croix's, and I can make my own for half as much as a store one costs. Plus I can have the thread in any color, design or special weave. I have made my son some special touch rods. Priceless!! The rod you build can be a better rod with better components. Again if I can be of any help, let me know
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Skleppe...Where do you purchase your materials? I've looked at Netcraft but are there any others places where good, reasonably priced materials can be purchased?

Thanks,
    CH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast