PDA

View Full Version : Making your own Rod

father of 4
06-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I have asked not long ago about jig tying. Years ago I went with my Dad to a guys place who made his own Rods. I guess he bought the fiberglass and put the eyes and all on them. Does anyone do this and if so I would really love to try this also.

deathb4disco
06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I have heard from several sources that it's easier than jig tying. There's lots of info on the web about it.

I've toyed with the idea just so I could make some rods with Tennessee handles.

Any rod companies reading this? Tennessee handles rule! Down with graphite reel seats!

skiptomylu
06-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I have asked not long ago about jig tying. Years ago I went with my Dad to a guys place who made his own Rods. I guess he bought the fiberglass and put the eyes and all on them. Does anyone do this and if so I would really love to try this also.

You can probably find a good bit of info at this site and their boards.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

skleppe
06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I starting making rods about a year ago and have sold some custom one for over $300.00. I would however argue with the comment that it may be easier than jigs. Rodbuilding.org is a great site as is rodguild.com. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

crome
06-14-2007, 11:36 PM
i've been turning rods for about 7 years,i would not say it's easier than making jigs,bit it's not to hard to do,skleppe gave a good place to look for info...mudhole also has a few videos you can watch too.

GRIZZ
06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
The problem with building rods these days is that if your just doing 1 at a time the components cost so much you may as well just go buy a nice rod. I've built a few rods and would like to take it up again, but they just want too much for blanks and eyes now. There is a special satisfaction using your own rods and also a special pain if you break one you built.

kygorski
06-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Made about 10 of them in the past, for my own use. Two of them are still around, both fiberglass, great rods for crank bait trolling, with braided line.But today its just too darn expensive, unless you like doing things to kill time.Good long one piece blanks are hard for me to find,and lets face it, at my age the wraps get a little fuzzy, the epoxy a little more slip shod, Lots of luck in your endevors, I'll just fish.My reason for the first one was the no reel seat concept,wish they would make them that way .

father of 4
06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks all of you. It does look kind of expensive to do. I am here in east Texas right now at my folks. There is a lot of cane here. Have any of you built a rod out of cane before? Just wandering. Like I said I know nothing about it. I have fished all my younger years with a cane pole.

skleppe
06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
For a great rod it might cost more than a Wal-Mart rod, but you will get much more enjoyment knowing the fish you just put in the livewell or cooler came off something You built. Someone starting out making their own jigs, the first thousand are pretty expensive, but its the knowing its something You created. I mainly fished St Croix's, and I can make my own for half as much as a store one costs. Plus I can have the thread in any color, design or special weave. I have made my son some special touch rods. Priceless!! The rod you build can be a better rod with better components. Again if I can be of any help, let me know

CrappieHound
06-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Skleppe...Where do you purchase your materials? I've looked at Netcraft but are there any others places where good, reasonably priced materials can be purchased?

Thanks,
CH

deathb4disco
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
There is a lot of cane here. Have any of you built a rod out of cane before?

Are you talking about making a split cane rod, like many fly rods? That is quite a step up from making a graphite rod. There is a local guy here in Atlanta who offers classes in making bamboo fly rods. There's quite an art to it, and it's much more labor-intensive. I'd stick to graphite at first.

skiptomylu
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Skleppe...Where do you purchase your materials? I've looked at Netcraft but are there any others places where good, reasonably priced materials can be purchased?

Thanks,
CH
I buy some from Barlow's and quite a few other places, but I also buy some from the Mfg., but that takes a good size order. I have bought some items st Netcraft, but not a lot as i don't like the amount of items they carry. It takes a lot of time and effort to find all the things I use.

What are you looking for maybe I can help. PM me or shoot me an email at skipper48@hughes.net and I will see what I can tell you or help with. I could even order some thing for you when I order if that will help.

Skip

GRIZZ
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
For a great rod it might cost more than a Wal-Mart rod, but you will get much more enjoyment knowing the fish you just put in the livewell or cooler came off something You built. Someone starting out making their own jigs, the first thousand are pretty expensive, but its the knowing its something You created. I mainly fished St Croix's, and I can make my own for half as much as a store one costs. Plus I can have the thread in any color, design or special weave. I have made my son some special touch rods. Priceless!! The rod you build can be a better rod with better components. Again if I can be of any help, let me know

I'd like to know where you get the parts to build a StCroix blanked rod with equal or better components thats half the price of their retail rods?

skleppe
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok Grizz,

St Croix Premier (SCII) Kit (2S76MLF)=$77.95 This includes everything but thread and epoxy This would cost you about $12.00. Retail price for this rod from Cabela's is = $100.00. This is about the same price, but it will be built with the color(s) you choose or the inscription you write or the decal you want on it. Priceless!!!!!

Now once you have it done all your buddies are going to want you to build them on. Of course they will give you a little extra for your time, which you will need a sales tax permit for, because we all are law abiding citizens. The best part of this permit is it now allows you to buy wholesale. This same kit wholesale is $58.46. Now thats about half.

Its all about the same split whether is a premier, avid, tournement, or legend elite. Now you dont have to buy the kit. You can order colored reel seats, marbled cork, or colored guides. This can turn out to be a work of art.

Check out Mudhole.com or Customtackle.com or fishsticks4u.com my email is skleppe@southslope.com

Scott

TwainGang
06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I've made a couple St. Croix fly rods- because really good fly rods cost over $300 anyway. I buy SCIII (Avid) blank for $80-90 and the handle and guides cost another $40 or so. These rods sell retail for about $300 but they may not be built with the spine oriented correctly and won't be built with any of your personalizations. Good crappie rods are available for under $50. Face it- the casting part isn't that important for the long jigging crappie rods the way it is for a fly rods casting line rather than lure.

I got a nice little kit from Cabelas that included a video of how to do it. I did it for the same reason I do a little beer brewing- because it's something I can have pride in and because I just plain enjoy trying a new thing. If you're doing it to save money- your hourly wage better be cheap!

crazyboutcrappie
06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
I`ve been building rods for 40 years,custom crappie jig-poles 15 years and I haved tried just about everything available. I have found 10ft. flyrod blanks work best for me.I put 14 guides a tip and a 12 to 18 inch cork handle either a flyrod type or a Tenn. handle. I like a 5 or 6 wt. rod for crappie.

Tknight

dedfish
06-17-2007, 04:59 PM
I've always wanted to do this and I think I might do it this summer in preparation for crappie this fall.

I'd imagine catching fish with a rod I built in addition to jigs I tie.. would be VERY satisfying.

The Lip RIPPERS
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey guy's nice to see renewed interest in building your own rods , I do agree with Tennesee handles for crappie rods in that you can adjust the balance of your setup , I have built rods since 1983 yes its true if you dont know where to get components it can cost more than a comparable factory rod , however here's where knowledge comes in , you can build a better rod every time!
Anyone interested in blanks or components , go to the small business directory contact Cherokee Rod Co. we specialize in Crappie rods...thanks!

The Lip RIPPERS
07-04-2007, 07:16 AM
I`ve been building rods for 40 years,custom crappie jig-poles 15 years and I haved tried just about everything available. I have found 10ft. flyrod blanks work best for me.I put 14 guides a tip and a 12 to 18 inch cork handle either a flyrod type or a Tenn. handle. I like a 5 or 6 wt. rod for crappie.

Tknight
Amen to this type of blank for crappie , that used to be all you could get my first conversion rod was a Browning Silaflex 9' talk about a load! but on the positive side you could drag fish brush & all out! now I use a Batson XST 91/2' skinny blank with better than average backbone super sensitive also very light in hand. but just arrived our newest rod we designed the T-Minus it comes in 9'-91/2'& 10' scopes down to 71/2' for transport then back out to the above lengths to fish like a 1 pc. rod, if you want some pics E-mail me
yvonne@crosstel.net

crazyboutcrappie
07-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I would like to try the T-minus blank how do you get one and how much?PM me the info. Thanks Tknight

Team_Flopeye
10-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I Want a med heAvy rod clear with lights in the haNdle for catfidhing at night,any help?