Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig tying

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig tying

OK... I keep seeing all sorts of posts from folks that are either tying their own, or are thinking about tying their own, and I'm now considering it too!

So the question here is for Skip... does this look like a halfway decent starter kit - for getting my feet wet?
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...L&cmid=PP_P2_2

I probably won't buy a kit or start trying my hand at it until the water turns hard and I need something fishing-related to get me through the winter.

The web page doesn't give a ton of details aside from the photo and a list of jigheads included, but from what I can see, it has a vise, tools, thread, a video, head cement?, and materials to make both feather and hair jigs in a few different color patterns.

Who knows, I could get good enough over time to be able to tie jigs that catch fish - if that happens, I might even let the kids fight over my tube collection!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the video included in the kit. It's EXCELLENT! They demonstrate hair jigs, marabou jigs, etc.

I don't think you can get the video alone anymore, so it might be worth it. The tools you get in most kits are not that great, but Bass Pro generally has good stuff. The most important tool is a good pair of scissors. The vise doesn't look that great, but you could always upgrade if you decide to stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    OK... I keep seeing all sorts of posts from folks that are either tying their own, or are thinking about tying their own, and I'm now considering it too!

So the question here is for Skip... does this look like a halfway decent starter kit - for getting my feet wet?
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...L&cmid=PP_P2_2

I probably won't buy a kit or start trying my hand at it until the water turns hard and I need something fishing-related to get me through the winter.

The web page doesn't give a ton of details aside from the photo and a list of jigheads included, but from what I can see, it has a vise, tools, thread, a video, head cement?, and materials to make both feather and hair jigs in a few different color patterns.

Who knows, I could get good enough over time to be able to tie jigs that catch fish - if that happens, I might even let the kids fight over my tube collection!
    I didn't ever buy a kit, but I am sure it's fine to see if you like tying, but I like a true rotary vise and the cheapest one made is a Danvise for about $80, but I have seen people get it for in the $60's. It also comes with a wood tying station and tools for about $149, but I don't know if that much cost interest you. it is what I used last year and then got a new stuff last December, but it was much more. The thing is I like to be able to rotate my jig and see them 360 degrees while tying them. If you think that it's something you will stick with then I would go with the Danvise, but that is me. I am sure the kit you are looking at will help though.

Here is the Danvise (again you may find is for less some other web site...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...534&id=0011298

Also here are some other kits....
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20431

Hope this helps and if you have more questions you can PM or email me any time,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I' looking to go low cost at first - just to see if it's something I enjoy and want to continue doing. I figure if it turns into a hobby, I'll want to get a true rotary vise on a weighted base instead of a C clamp, but if, after giving it a try, I find that jig tying isn't for me, I won't be out a whole lot of money.

Fall is a long way off, so I've got time to give some more thought. When I do get a kit, I'll probably fill your PM box with questions - so be ready!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use that kit and everything in it works fine for me. But I can see where if I was to go into major production I'd want a better vise and I did get some better scissors. Its a great starter kit and the video is really helpful.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I got the BPS fly tying kit for trout fishing, and quickly learned that I didn't like tying flies! Got the itch for jig tying from crappie.com and bought some different materials (same tools). Loved it! This kit has everything you need to decide if you like tying or not. If you like it, you'll replace the scissors and head cement really soon. Probably want to have more bobbins on hand too, so you don't have to change spools every time you change colors.
    Last edited by DC Crappie Kid; 06-15-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys - I figured someone has tried the BPS kit and could give me advise as to if it's worthwhile for finding out if I want to make jig tying a hobby.

I won't be buying anything till fall anyhow, but it's good to know that the kit is OK for beginners. It's also good to know that the video is helpful - I'm sure I'll need it.

Post Thanks / Like

joejv4

i bought this kit, and have had wonderful success! You dont have to spend a lot of money to have ours of entertainment tying your own. I bought more material for jigs than i would have spent on the actual jigs in a 5 years. However, i collect jigs from about everyone i can find, just to see all of the different crafting styles. It is a fun hobby, and very satisfying when you catch a fish on one you made all on your own.

Enjoy!
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4
    I' looking to go low cost at first - just to see if it's something I enjoy and want to continue doing. I figure if it turns into a hobby, I'll want to get a true rotary vise on a weighted base instead of a C clamp, but if, after giving it a try, I find that jig tying isn't for me, I won't be out a whole lot of money.

Fall is a long way off, so I've got time to give some more thought. When I do get a kit, I'll probably fill your PM box with questions - so be ready!
    No problem I will be happy to help with what I can.

Good Luck!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!