PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finders Reading Different

Glenn
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a Hummingbird Wide 100 (low priced one that came on the boat) and a Hummingbird 565. Both transducers are mounted on the transom, one far to the right and one far to the left. The 565 always reads 2-3 feet less then the Wide 100. I thought maybe they interfered with each other, so I turned one off. 565 is still 2-3 feet off. I have checked the accuaracy by dropping a stinker to the bottom and measuring the line. The Wide 100 is dead on. I bought the 565 new and it has been used very little. Is there a way I can calibrate the 565 to get it accuarate, or does it need to go back to Hummingbird? Thanks.

hpcrappieman
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
good luck on getting response from Hummingbird!!! I have sent emails and phone calls and no freakin' response!!!!they will probably say they have been too busy to respond promply...good excuse....LOL these are the last hummingbirds I will ever buy!!!! going back to bottomline or lowrance... I guess we get what we pay for...just my 2 cents..

Barnacle Bill
06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Look for a setting called keel offset. Most newer units have that so you can calibrate the depth.

Wiskers
06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Look for a setting called keel offset. Most newer units have that so you can calibrate the depth.
Both of my Humminbirds have a depth offset in the advanced settings. :D

1weezer
06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I have had GREAT service from Humminbird. I had to send a unit back because of a problem and told them I would like to get it back as soon as I could. They fixed it and over nighted it back to me at no charge. Now that's service!

willsjwills
06-14-2007, 05:34 PM
my eagle 480 has it also.

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
06-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Yep set the offset.
THE BANDIT

Humminbird_Greg
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Hpcrappieman, are you the one who e-mailed me about the suction cup? I sent a message back your way and am still waiting on a reply.

Glenn, when you measured the water depth was it from the surface of the water or from the bottom of the transducer? Sonar units measure water depth from the transducer. The Keel Offset function is called “Depth Offset in your 565 unit. Setting a positive number for the distance your transducer is under the surface of the water should allow the 565 to display an accurate water depth from the surface.

Glenn
06-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I found the Depth Offset in Advanced Settings, made the adjustment, reads dead on now.

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
06-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Isn't this a great site! There is a ton of knowledge here. If one guy doesn't know the answer the next one does and is willing to help.
THE BANDIT

Glenn
06-16-2007, 08:14 AM
It is indeed a great site. Greg, I was measuring from the transducer. Thanks for your reply.