Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hooked Again"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking "Hooked Again"

Growing up in Michigan, very near Lake Michigan, I fished almost every week from my pre-teen years to high school graduation. But, after going away to college, followed by the 'world of work', my fishing days were no longer. leading to an almost 30 year 'absence'. We moved to the California/Bay area almost 20 years ago and even though I did not have time to fish, I read the fishing report in the San Jose Mercury News almost every week.

After two very intense teleconferences on a Thursday in early April, I read the weekly fishing report and decided to drive out to Calero and Chesbro reservoirs (featured in that week's report) to take a break for a fairly stressful morning. The drive in the Santa Cruz mountains was so beautiful and the reservoirs looked so good, I decided that a re-prioritizing of time was in order so that I could start fishing again.

By the time I returned home from the drive, a couple of major crises had arisen with some clients and in a matter of minutes I was "heads down" again into 'fire fighting' mode with my fishing plans on hold. Two weeks later I was again reading the weekly fishing report and said, "the heck with this, I am going to start fishing again." That evening I went a local sport shop, purchased some fishing gear and fished Friday evening, Saturday morning/afternoon, and Sunday evening of that weekend.

Those first three fishing sessions had me fairly certain the 'thrill' was back, but next session, later that following week, ensured it. After fishing for a couple of hours, I had a fairly major 'hit' on a yellow/black marabou jig and caught my "one kilo" crappie in the attached picture :D . I call it my "one kilo" crappie because that is what it weighed (2.2 pounds) on a scale at Chesbro, even though the scale where the picture was taken (Coyote Discount Bait & Tackle) registered 2.01 pounds.

Since then I have been fishing at least once a week when I am not traveling. My business partner and some of my clients did not believe it until they saw pictures because I am the prototypical "workaholic". They are amazed that I have found the time to fish on a regular basis, but I am truly "hooked again" on fishing. The final proof was in May when I was away for a week on business and could not fish. Major withdrawal symptoms !

As a bonus, after searching online for information about fishing, I found "crappie.com". This site has been a great source of information, some entertainment, and a refreshing break from the fast paced world of technology. I look forward to reading the new posts almost every day and searching through older posts and the archives for absolutely invaluable information.

Regards,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dr Perf (Doctor Performance)
    'You make the systems, we make them faster'

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! I understand that it's rare they get very big up north. Keep posting the pics and welcome to the board!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I am hooked too on Crappie fishing. Been going every day! You should try Contra Loma some time. Havent caught any "lunkers" yet. My biggest was 11.5 inches long.
    All I need to live is RC cars, Motocross, Biking, and Fishing:D
    Always looking for fishing partners in the bay area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    Nice fish! I understand that it's rare they get very big up north. Keep posting the pics and welcome to the board!
    Actually, my fishing buddy caught a 19", 3.9 pound crappie last Friday at Uvas Reservoir . I will be posting a picture of it this weekend when I return home.

Meanwhile, here a picture of what we caught and kept last Saturday after fishing the same spot at Uvas. The crappie ranged from 12-9 inches, with the exception of the lone bluegill in the top right corner. Half of them were caught using Skip's glow jigs :D.

Hopefully, I will get back home tomorrow (Thursday) or no later than Friday because the withdrawal symptoms are setting in :p.

Regards,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DrPerf; 06-13-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Dr Perf (Doctor Performance)
    'You make the systems, we make them faster'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good for you Doc!

Good decision on the career change I love to fish, it's just nice to get away for the day.

As my buddy always says "Live like you were dying" If there is something you really want to do get after it, that is the way I try to live! :p
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, great to hear your story and have you on board. Welcome to the wonderful world of stress repair called crappie fishin! Did you post on that thread about "Occupations"? Sounds like you may have an interesting field of work too.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish Doc! Great story, i can relate to work interfering with fishing
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Doc... Welcome aboard from Upstate NY.

I can relate to life and work getting in the way of fishing too, I've started making a point of making an early morning (6AM - 10AM) fishing trip every weekend that I can (either Sat or Sun). Talk about stress relief. Glad that you've gotten re-hooked on fishing and wish you many, many successful fishing trips (and for me, success means lower stress and the occasional full stringer).

Again, Welcome aboard crappie.com. We've got a great crew that's always ready and willing to share and help out fellow members.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Welcome from SC

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish a got there. I like fishing for the rest and relaxation, away from work. I don't fish enough but sure enjoy it when I do get out. Good pic. and welcome to the site...

Gonefission
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast