Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling or Pushing Crankbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling or Pushing Crankbaits?

I'm interested in learning to troll crankbaits. I've read several great articles, even the one on this website. However I have a 200 hp Mercury, I've heard it's hard on a big motor to troll. Is that true? Can a big motor even troll slow enough? How about pulling the cranbaits with my trolling motor?

Appreciate any info.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who has trolled with his 200hp, but he trims the motor down all the way to slow it down, but I don't think it can be very good on the motor of that size. However, I think they make attachments to help troll with larger motors.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Never trolled crankbaits, so dont know about the speed. I do know that its not good for ANY 2-stroke outboard to be run at idle for lengthy periods of time. Theyre designed to take a beating, and thats when they run best. My 2 cents, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 115 HP which I know is no good for slow trolling so I use my trolling motor to pull CB's.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have trolled using my main motor it's a 150...the speed however is a little to fast for Crappie. I have slowed my boat down using two driftsocks tied to the front cleats of the boat. You can also try dropping your trolling motor to slow you down.

I just came back from Kentucky Lake trolling crankbaits and used my 24volt trolling motor. My speed ranged from 1.2 to 1.5 mph. Caught several fish, so it must have been a good speed for them.

I still trying to figure out the best way to troll multiple rods while having 100 ft of line out. I believe next time out I'm going to try planer boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8hp 4 stroke and it's too fast at idle to troll very well, but we did catch a few fish anyways. I'm thinking about getting a troll plate to hook up. It hooks to your outboard and goes behind the prop, which slows down how fast the motor pushes the boat. You can pull it up or let it down with a cable attached to it. I haven't researched it at all yet, just know a few people who have them on their outboards. If you have a really big outboard, that might be a good option.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a trolling plate on my 90 Yamaha. It works reat. I can troll 1.2 to 2.0 all day long.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling

Those big motors, unless they are four stroke, are not that good for slow trolling.I use a 5 hp 4 stroke. You can easily fish four rods, using planer boards, the hard part comes when something other than a crappie decides to have lunch. I fish alone, and thats why I only troll three rigs. A few years ago, trolling for stripers, I trolled into a school, both downriggers had hits, and one of my long lines also. Landed two fish, the one on the long line eventually spooled me. Total time from leaving the house to returning home with my legal limit? two and a half hours. That happened a lot on the great lakes, but usually with smaller fish in the 5 to 6 pound range, but two stripes over 20 was a dream come through.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 150 hp Merc XR6 on my bass boat and have trolled all day with it. Purrs like a kitten. It will idle down to 2.2-2.6mph. Thats according to my GPS. I haven't tried the drift socks yet but I am getting ready to. I would like to get down to 1.8mph
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie&shrooms
    I have a 150 hp Merc XR6 on my bass boat and have trolled all day with it. Purrs like a kitten. It will idle down to 2.2-2.6mph. Thats according to my GPS. I haven't tried the drift socks yet but I am getting ready to. I would like to get down to 1.8mph

I troll with my 115 4 stroke. With no wind it runs about 2.5 so I use 1 drift sock out the back and run about 1.6 to 1.9
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast