Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kirwin Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kirwin Lake

I am coming down to Kirwin this spring for the spawn. Would like to talk to someone that fishes the lake and maybe get some information about the lake.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Eager Beaver. I have fished Kirwin several times with GREAT success. But it was full!. It now is 27ft low!!! I've heard they have temporary ramps constructed to launch boats. You might look at Lovewell lake. It's not far from there and is only 6ft low. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Slabmaster for the info. I haven't heard of Lovewell. How big is that lake. I have seen Kirwin on TV several times and liked the looks if it. Will check back closer to spawn time.
    Thank you, Eager Beaver
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Eager Beaver, Lovewell is in North Central Ks. It is a 2000 acre lake that is very good fishing. Mankato would be a good town to stay at but, there are lots of rooms in every town, mostly used for hunters. Go to www.anglersfishinginfo.com for info. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Slabmaster is right it's 27 ft below conservation pool. Talking with our fisheries biologists they tell me the irrigators are planning on using their full allotment this year and that will not leave much in Kirwin. When the lake is full it is crappie heaven but right now its kind of the pits. I only fished it once last fall and didn't appreciate the way I had to dump the boat off.

When it dows come back up I have been told by guys on the lake there is a little bed and breakfast in Kirwin run by a widow. She gets up fixes breakfast and packs you sandwiches for lunch. That was 3 years ago but she did it all for $30 a night. She does that for goose hunters too. I live to close to stay over but have stayed in Phillipsburg and was quite happy with food and motel

Post Thanks / Like

We hit the slabs this winter pretty hard at Kirwin. Word has it that they moved the refuge bouys further east now. If the lake gets much lower and they have to move them to the east again, won't even be able to get to any of the attractors. As far as the ramp goes, Ihave not seen it but the guys I have talked to that have used it said it wasn't too bad. The bigger the tow truck the better is what they said. This meaning that you have to back quite a ways out in the water to launch.

Hope this helps,

Greg
    HuskerLand is the name, custom jigs are the game!

Greg