Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coffeen Lke

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coffeen Lke

Hey folks, been lurking for a while, thought I'd finally post. I've been an avid cat man for years, occasionally tried crappie with mixed results. This year I thought I'd try a little harder at it. Read everything I could find (including this site), watched some videos, spent a ton at the tackle store. I decided to give Coffeen a try with 2 friends of mine last Saturday. It's a power plant lake, but I heard the plant has been down and the water was only 50, but I was itching to go.

We fished from 6:30 until noon and caught absolutely zilch. Had some bites, but the only hookup was a large flathead that I fough for a while but broke off (I can't seem to get away from the catfish :D ). We used minnows, jigs, spinners, everything we could think of. We fished structure in everything from 2 to 15 feet of water. Guess I haven't quite got it yet.

Any help out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't know much about that lake

I Bass fished that lake one time about 12 years ago. I wish I could help you out. I would'nt give up on it though
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Bluecatman, it is nice to see you on this board. From what I have read, most power plant lakes are much better when the plant is fired up.
    Hey, don't let these guys know that when I am fishing for crappie, I am just fishing for bait. LOL. Did you hook into that flathead using a crappie for bait? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Redtick, we've got to get out sometime and have you show me some crappie tricks. I've always wondered if crappie behave differently throughout the year in power plant lakes and if so, how. One guy told me they will never suspend on points or in go to open water like they will in regular lakes during summer and winter, they always hang around the shore structure. I wonder?

Hooked that flathead on a minnow. I was jigging down through a brushpile when it hit. From the brief look I had it looked like about 5 pounds. He ran drag for a while then finally broke off around a limb. Oh well, not sure how I would have lifted him out of the tree anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I often catch cats while fishing for crappie and it has been my experiance that there is usually a big cat near where you will find crappie. I have not fished power plant lakes alot but I plan on trying some in the near future.