Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jigs tipped with minnows

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jigs tipped with minnows

I have had a lot of success on my home lakes tipping jigs with minnows. BUt I have heard some folks talk about they dont tip them because they affect the action of the grub or the jig. I noticed a guy on Grenada the other day who said the same thing. He had a jig he tipped with niblets instead of a minnow. I just don't catch the numbers on just jigs on my home lakes. Could be a water clarity issue. Any opinions on this?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    I have had a lot of success on my home lakes tipping jigs with minnows. BUt I have heard some folks talk about they dont tip them because they affect the action of the grub or the jig. I noticed a guy on Grenada the other day who said the same thing. He had a jig he tipped with niblets instead of a minnow. I just don't catch the numbers on just jigs on my home lakes. Could be a water clarity issue. Any opinions on this?
    I think the clairy has a lot to do with it. I fish mainly coastal rivers that are heavily stained from cypress trees. I can assure you that if you use just a jig, you are not going to catch very many fish. I've always used jigs and minnows and it does take different colors on different days to attract them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I mix it up but really like a jig and minnow. But on some Mississippi lakes a jig often works better, but I bring niblets and minnows to use as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

When tight linning, I almost always use a jig and minnow combination. I may also use some sort of plastic on the jig as well.
    When long line trolling, I rarely tip with a minnow.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

so really, it isn't as much a water clarity issue as much as the speed of the bait. When long lining you would want the grub and jig to have as much action as possible and a minnow would hinder that. But tight lining slowly, the swimming minnow gives the bait the action. Makes a lot of sense.

The lakes I usually fish are very clear and I always tip with a minnow. I most often fish with minnows when except when casting and durring the summer when long lining.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default The only constant is change

There is one irrefutable rule in crappie fishing. The only constant is change.
    I rarely tip with a minnow when long linning, but I have. I almost always tip when tight linning, but not always.
    I also fish some very clear water. If a crappie nibble will give a lure the proper smell and taste then a small minnow will also. Unles the minnow is dead and stiff, it will still impart some action when fast trolling.
    There was another thread about minnow size. There is no absolute that large minnows catch bigger fish.. I generally carry shiners in size 4 and 6. Most bait shops only carry size 4. A chub or tuffie is generally smaller than a size 4 shiner. Not always it depends on the age of both.
    I can tell you for sure that some days one size will produce better and the next day or even later the same day the other size will produce better. It is just like jig size and color. If they ain't hitting it, change. If you ain't catchin nothin but small fish change size of minnow, change hook color, change jig size or shape, change jig color, change, change change.

Post Thanks / Like

I like tipping with a minnow or a crappie nibble if the bite is slow or tough. I agree, action is the key, whether slow or fast. Just gotta find what they want that day. Ain't it great. Crappie fishing is so dynamic and it's certainly never boring.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]