Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small crappie reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small crappie reels

I bought a Wally Marshall round crappie reel today to try it out, but I was having a lot of trouble casting more than about 15 feet or so and I kept getting real bad tangles (backlash?). I messed around with it for a few hours and finally was able to cast a bit farther after adding another weight, but I usually don't fish with much weight at all. Definitely not as much as I was using to practice with it. What is the proper way to set the drag? I was setting it so that the weight wouldn't pull the line out when it was just sitting still, but it was still loose enough to let the line pull out when I'd cast. Is this correct? I don't expect to master it right off the bat, but I felt like an idiot trying to cast just a few feet and then getting massive tangles. Does anyone have any tips that might help? I'd really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are made to cast, they are more for stripping line and dipping.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller
    I don't think they are made to cast, they are more for stripping line and dipping.
    I agree. I use to have some but got rid of them. Use a bigger reel for casting. They do a much better job.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. In the instructions it talks about adjusting the drag for casting and stripping line, but it doesn't say anything more than that. Maybe it can cast, but doesn't cast as well as a normal sized baitcaster?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks IBN. Will most any bigger baitcasting reels be able to accept 6# line alright?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Zebco triggerspin reels, they work real well as long as you don't wind up the line loose in it. Here is a pic.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erichkopp
    Thanks IBN. Will most any bigger baitcasting reels be able to accept 6# line alright?
    I don't use baitcasters just spinning but I don't see why you couldn't put any size line on them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ive found out that the best place for those little round openface reels for crappie fishing is at the bottom of the lake lol. I tried on once but the line would get hung in the side of the reel and after about the seventh time that reel was swimming with the fishes lol. I say to just stick with the spinning reels and the underspin micros.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm with jlaughlin72.try the zebco triggerspins.i've got a couple of the original model 44s that ive been using for close to 30 years.no tangles and no problems.got to be the most dependable reels ever made. just nothing fancy.just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small B'n'M reel, doesn't cast worth a darn, so I use it for jigging. I use ultra lite spinning reels with 4# and 2#. The 2# is a little harder to cast with lite jigs. But is sure fun when ya get a nice crappie hooked up...

Gonefission
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast