Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weedless jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless jig heads

Does anyone know where I can order some weedless jig heads in the V-wing ( wire) style? I use 1/32. I have been losing fish with the brush style jigs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation green80 ...

Quote Originally Posted by green80
    Does anyone know where I can order some weedless jig heads in the V-wing ( wire) style? I use 1/32. I have been losing fish with the brush style jigs.
    Don't know why you're "losing" fish with the brush style but, if you're looking for weedless jigheads ... I got the man in mind you need to contact !!

contact Paul Mullins - [email protected]
    He's known as Grousefly on the site, and P&S Custom Tackle is his bait making business. NOW .... before you do - understand that his V-wing jighead guards are not wire !! They are a semi-stiff plastic. They don't come anywhere near the hook point, but straddle over it. I've used them for years, and with excellent results. He can also make them with a larger hook, if you want. I've got some 1/32 & 1/16oz jigheads with #2 hooks ... and some with #4 hooks. Talk with him, tell him what you're looking for, and see if he can't fix you up.
    Now -- if you're looking for a jighead with a thin wire guard that folds under the hook point .... specifically, Oldham's Sure-Lock Weedless Crappie jigheads ... you may be out of luck, on two counts. One - he no longer produces them .... two - they aren't (weren't) made in 1/32oz. I used them for many years ... until I got into Paul's jigheads.

..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default weedless jig heads

Thanks crappiepappy for the info. I email him today. I don't know why but I have been losing fish on the brush style. They seem to hit and don't get hooked or make a little run and get off. Have not had this problem on the reg jigheads.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow green80 ...

Quote Originally Posted by green80
    Thanks crappiepappy for the info. I email him today. I don't know why but I have been losing fish on the brush style. They seem to hit and don't get hooked or make a little run and get off. Have not had this problem on the reg jigheads.
    I prefer the V-wing jighead that Paul makes for me, but I still use the brush style, too. Haven't had a problem with fish coming off, or missing getting the hook into them ... from either style. I don't set the hook any harder or softer, when using weedless jigheads, than I do when using open hook jigs ... and I still always seem to get a good hookup (roof of mouth).
    I might suggest - if you're looking at the potential to be hooking up with 1lb or larger fish ... you might consider having #2 hooks on your V-wings. I mostly use 1.5in - 1.75in tubes on mine ... and a #2 hook works very well. A #4 hook is OK, and does work ... but, the gap between the plastic body and hook point isn't as large/wide, and could potentially be a factor.
    You can get bronze, gold, or red hooks for your jigheads ... I've used all three, but cannot really say that one is more productive than either of the others.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the brush style weedless jigheads. I fish bamboo tops exclusively and rarely ever get hung up or break off. Some fish will come off of any setup due to their soft mouths but it doesn't seem that I lose anymore fish with the weedless jigheads.

Post Thanks / Like

If I use weedless jig heads I make sure on the brush style that I cut them back a little and leave it just so it protects the hook from snagging. Usually they are longer than needed.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default weedless

try punisher jig company. they use only a single wire on their 1/16 oz jigs, and they do hook fish.Maybe for a price they can make you the vee wire guard in a small size, they make an excellent vee wire guard 1/8 to 5/16 jig head. They are located in celina tn. and most fishermen down here around dale hollow and lake cumberland know about the quality of those jig heads.Need more info get in touch with me.

Post Thanks / Like

made to order

crappie plus
    211 carriage ct.
    lee's summit, missouri 64064
    816-686-5159
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><