Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mc Coy's "Mean Green" line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mc Coy's "Mean Green" line?

Anyone try Mc Coy's "Mean Green" copolymer line for crappie? Ran a search on a bass site and found rave reviews... particularly for spinning reels.
    Low memory was a big reason. Not carried by Bass Pro or Cabela's. Mfg site listed the "Clock Bait Shop" a tiny place in Gladstone (KC suburb)...

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Weak, breaks at less than test strength. Tested it, Tried it, sold it, dropped it because of bad comments from customers. Below is a comment I received from a customer.

"Last week I stopped in at Doc-Loc and I received a sample spool of McCoy Mean Green fishing line in 10 and 12 lb tests. I spooled up a spinning reel with the 10 lb and a baitcaster with 12 lb for the Doah tournament.

In the first 4 hours of the first float, I had numerous times the line would wrap itself in knots around the last few guides of the rod. Thinking maybe I put the line on wrong, I let it drift into the current while I pulled it off the reels, hoping to straighten it out if it was twisted.

Well, after the 3rd day of fishing at the tournament I have to say this line is not for me. I can't count the number of times the line wrapped itself around my rod guides. Many times I had to cut it from the guide it was in so many knots. I'll stick with my Bass Pro Excel. I was Texas rigging my tubes for all of the rodeo float trips with a 1/8 oz worm weight and a 2/0 worm hook, using a 3 1/4" Mudpie tube. I've never had these problems before with Excel line or the SOS line I bought there."

Another comment:
    I TRIED to use 8 lb MCCoy yesterday.
    Steven had filled 2 of my spools , one with 6, one with 8 so i could try the line.

I found the 8 unreasonably thick and wiry for it's marked strength.
    It probably overtests of course.
    Mc Coy says that the 8 lb. measures .011

Very unhappy with the casting and handling of the line I popped off the spool and substituted one with OLD 11.0 Tectan measuring .0092
    Fishing unweighted 4 inch Case Sticks and Senko's on a circle hook the difference was dramatic.
    The Tectan was of course thinner and threw with a flick of the wrist.
    It had less memory and was stronger .

I would in the future use 8 lb Mc Coy only on a 4000 class reel and only with a heavier bait.

The greenies liked both the Case sticks and the Senko's very much thank you, and 4 of the small ones (2-2.5 pounders) will take their next swim in hot grease.
    Last edited by bobberdown; 06-10-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie
    Anyone try Mc Coy's "Mean Green" copolymer line for crappie? Ran a search on a bass site and found rave reviews... particularly for spinning reels.
    Low memory was a big reason. Not carried by Bass Pro or Cabela's. Mfg site listed the "Clock Bait Shop" a tiny place in Gladstone (KC suburb)...
    Gamma or Sufix Promix will give you what your looking for. I used Gamma all last year and now have Promix back on again. Falling in love with the promix all over again. Amazingly strong, thin and limp line for a very low cost. Now after 4-5 yrs I may have to order another 1/4 spool of 6 lb. I was pulling 3-5 lb kicking smallmouth up a 12 foot wall at a pier at lake Erie yesterday with 6lb test. Just awesome line. Now that I'm using promix again I can't say which line I like better. Both lines are by far the best I have ever used. You can get Promix at www.bubbajackstackle.com - Gamma is at most big tackle stores.

Remember this, no matter how good the line is, cheap reels handle any line poorly. Buy quality.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    Gamma or Sufix Promix will give you what your looking for. I used Gamma all last year and now have Promix back on again. Falling in love with the promix all over again. Amazingly strong, thin and limp line for a very low cost. Now after 4-5 yrs I may have to order another 1/4 spool of 6 lb. I was pulling 3-5 lb kicking smallmouth up a 12 foot wall at a pier at lake Erie yesterday with 6lb test. Just awesome line. Now that I'm using promix again I can't say which line I like better. Both lines are by far the best I have ever used. You can get Promix at www.bubbajackstackle.com - Gamma is at most big tackle stores.

Remember this, no matter how good the line is, cheap reels handle any line poorly. Buy quality.
    Grizz, Is the Pro-mix more limp than Elite? I have used the Elite and like it but it seems to break easily...I use only 4# test on Shimano Symetre 750 reels...Is Pro-mix a braid?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Grizz, Is the Pro-mix more limp than Elite? I have used the Elite and like it but it seems to break easily...I use only 4# test on Shimano Symetre 750 reels...Is Pro-mix a braid?
    I tried Elite this spring and hated it. There is no comparison with Promix. I don't understand why such a huge company would continue to push such a low quality line like siege and elite when they have such good other lines they have had for years.

Promix is not a braid. Promix is more limp than Elite. It is a totally different line than typical monofilament. I'm not sure what they make elite from but I know that Promix is a copolymer like Pline except its better than Pline. It looks exactly like any mono line except it hardly stretches at all, is super strong, it takes all kinds of abrasion and keeps its strength, and its limp. Like I usually do because both lines are so great I compare Promix to Gamma. The one area where Gamma is better is that it is even more limp than Promix, but promix is still very limp. The advantage that promix has over Gamma is that its so cheap, and Gamma is a bit pricey. I love both lines and now that I'm using Promix again I love it just as much as Gamma.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried all kinds of line 7 or 8 difrent brands & I like the mcoy mean green best.Buy a small spool & try it. some guys will tell you that it's not any good because they do not sell,have not tried it or they had there line snap on a 8 to 10 lb fish with 4lb test.I have caught some 8 to 11lb chanel cats on 6lb mean green.As I said before buy a small spool & try it.You be the judge.

Post Thanks / Like

From those that've used it, I'd like to hear some opinions on Power Pro.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb On PowerPro ....

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides
    From those that've used it, I'd like to hear some opinions on Power Pro.
    I've used it, on one specific rod, for the last two years. I use the 10/2 hi-vis yellow. As with anything, it has pros and cons. And, in the case of PowerPro, and probably braids in general, some of the pros and cons are the same thing. For instance - PP is very "limp" ... making it lay on the reel very well, cast very well, has no memory, and other good points -- but, also makes it wrap around the rod tip easier, get wind knots easier, and blows in the wind easier. As with any line being used to cast with on a spinning reel ... it's subject to getting "twists". This is less of a problem with PP, than it is with mono, though .... as the PP, even with twists, will cast and retrieve almost as well as without twists. It's still important to occasionally untwist it, but it isn't going to end the use of that rod/reel, if it's gotten twisted up a bit ... like it would be with mono.
    It's not a magic bullet - it won't cure all the ills of mono use. It's a tool, with specific properties that make it different from mono. You just have to weigh its positives and negatives against the positives and negatives of the line you replace. It fills a niche, plays a role, and does a job that maybe mono doesn't quite fill the bill. How you like it may be determined by what you expect from it, as well as how you use it and what you use it on.

I use mine on a Shimano Spirex 2000 - Browning/Lews 6ft M/H graphite rod. It's primary purpose - casting Roadrunners, Whirly Bees, and/or any bait that's larger/heavier than my normal jigs. It is, and has been used, also as a jig casting outfit and dock shooting outfit, on occasion.

Likes -
    no stretch
    hi-vis
    casts easily
    limp
    no memory coils
    strong

Dislikes -
    color does fade over time (but is still more visible than clear/blu mono)
    will occasionally create wind knots (some can be pulled loose, some can't)
    makes a noise when used with metal guides/inserts
    needs to be cut with scissors or very sharp knife, to prevent freyed tag end (freyed end makes putting it thru bait line eye difficult)
    will cut you, if pulled on when snagged (best to have something other than hands/fingers to wrap it around, when pulling snagged lure free)

All in all, I still like it and will continue to use it ... in spite of the cons. I've just adapted and learned to overcome its faults.
    The color fade problem was taken care of, by taking the line off and turning it around ... to the still bright, hi-vis color of the opposite end that had not been exposed.
    The wind knots were either pulled loose, or the line was cut and bait re-tied onto the new tag end (if they couldn't be pulled loose).
    Noise was diminished by using a rod with ceramic guide inserts.
    Fiskar scissors were purchased to cut the line - leaving a blunt/clean tag end, that's very easy to put thru bait line eye.
    When bait becomes snagged - line is wrapped around rod handle to pull with. NOTE - this particular rod has a graphite Tenn handle, not cork or foam. I don't recommend using this method with those types of handles, as the line may cut into them. If using a braid, on a rod with those type handles, I suggest using a short dowel rod to wrap line around. A heavy glove, or possibly even a towel wrapped around your hand, could be an alternative if no dowel/stick/piece of wood were available.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE MCCOY!!!! i've never had a problem with it! i've caught many big smallies & largies on 6lb and it's never snaped on me. it's the only line i use.

look closely at the hat :p
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a real nice pair of "Large mouth Crappie" you got there.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer