Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to make the fish crispy ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to make the fish crispy ?

Share some tips on getting crispy fish guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Panko

Available in Int'l section most major chain grocers, all Oriental markets.
    Dust fillets in flour, dip in egg wash, roll in Panko. Toss em in the oil.
    If ya wanna add seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, etc..) add it to the flour.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

I dont want any flour or eggs close to my fish
    ~sticko~

Post Thanks / Like

Oil temp 365,don't overlaod the pot

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful tips guys.

Post Thanks / Like

If crispy is your ultimate goal, use straight cornmeal, and season it with Zatarans or Tony's seasonings. Or just use salt and pepper if you prefer. The key to getting it crispy is to get your oil between 365-375 degrees. if your only cooking one or 2 fillets, then 365 is ideal. if you have a large pot and are dropping in 5 or more fillets at a time, then I put it at 375 degrees because cold fish is going to bring the temp down in the oil.

If your oil is too low of a temp, it will cause the batter to get soggy or come off the fish. if its too hot, it can also cause it to come off the fish or cook it too fast and make it chewy.

I prefer to use a premade fish fry like Louisiana New Orleans Style, or Uncle Bucks, or Zatarans fish fry mix. basically its just cornmeal mixed with a bit of flour and already spiced up. It has a great flavor and everyone seems to have their favorite batter mix. I prefer the louisiana mix, but i also use Zatarans when frying for my dad cause he prefers that brand. they both taste excellent to me. I've also made my own with cornmeal and flour and spices. I use 2 cups cornmeal mixed with half cup self flour.
    Also, i dont use an eggwash, i prefer to soak my fish in hotsauce and then dip in the batter. Some people soak their fish in milk/buttermilk or mustard. others i knwo sue egg wash, and some have other weird things they soak them in.
    I have one friend that swears by soaking his catfish in Mountain Dew overnight. I have eaten it many times at his house and everyone always says how sweet it tastes and its really good. Not overpowering, just a nice sweet tasting fish.

Anyway, I got off topic, but temperature is the key

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you can try is mix buttermilk and an egg and roll the fish through this and then roll the fish in batter of your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

just salt and pepper it then roll it in cornmeal. get you a good candy thermometer to hold the heat at 375 degrees. . cut your filet in finger size strips and dont crowd the cooking pot.

Post Thanks / Like

follow recipe in my "Joe's "Healthy" Fish Fry" post.