Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Composite Prop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Composite Prop

I have a 24' Pontoon with a 70HP johnson on it.2nd yr in a row i have smacked the prop.I'm running an aluminum prop now anyone using a comprop on a toon? It states that boats over 3K or 21' long might not want to use them.The comprop is about 60.00 less than the aluminum so i wouldnt freak if I smack it again next yr.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Imyself have owned two of the Comp Props and both have broken the tips off while running down the lake. They said I probably hit something but I'm pretty positive I didn't . Now I just stick with alum. I mainly fish the open lake channels and not around brush or structure.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Comp props are good to keep for emergency situations but I don't think I would use one for my main prop. Aluminum is a better choice but if you can afford it, use stainless props. They are much harder than aluminum and won't bend or flex as easily. IMHO
    Last edited by Speck; 06-08-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Composite props are mainly intended as spares. You might check with a prop shop about a used steel one if you can find one that's a good match to your boat/motor. It'll save you money in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

A composite prop on a boat that size would flex too much. I would probably stick with aluminum. Only problem with stainless is that if youre hitting alot of stuff, is that instead of your prop breaking, it could be your propshaft or gears breaking. My two cents, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with jh_blount on the aluminum prop. I have a 90 hp & the dealer that sold it said the prop shaft was to small for a ss prop. That is why i keep a spare prop in case i mess one up . Just my 2 cents. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a SS prop on my 90Merc... (Lazer II)... on a Champion Mean 16... Even talked to Rich Boger (Prop builder and guru) who said that was the best prop for that boat/mtr combo. The hard plastic hub in Merc props is the safety link that will prevent damage to the shaft, gears etc. I "spun" a hub when I hit a stump squarely... was at full throttle trying to get on plane after clearing (I thought) the stumpfield. Only a slight dent in the edge of the prop. Composite spare prop or spare hub would have saved me from being towed back to the dock.
    Had a SS prop that came with my old Evenrude 50. Served a beginning boater well... ground stumps to mulch, turned boulders to gravel, turned mud to, well... flying mud Did require a trip to the prop shop at the end of my 2nd year. Would have had to replace it several times if it had been aluminum.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 06-08-2007 at 11:15 AM.