Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Nuptial Flight has begun....

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Nuptial Flight has begun....

Just go off phone with local fishing budd. He cleaned clock Sat. Said a few fish had eggs. Ok. But ain't it a bit early? Guess I shoulda went fishing instead of screwing around with the boat dealers...lol
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey CP ....

When I fished the Fall Brawl, at Watts Bar last Oct, I helped clean the weigh in catch. The females, as I remember, had small egg sacs already developing. Some sacs you could have hid with a penny, but others were already twice that big. So ... no, it isn't "a bit early' (for them to have eggs). Since spawning time can come as early as late March to early April in TN ... and that's only 6-8weeks off, I would suspect that the eggs sacs should be near 1/2 to 3/4 of their eventual size, by this time. I just hope that the weather and water levels cooperate to make some good spawns this Spring ... not only for the great state of Tenn, but for my home state of KY, as well. My local watering holes have suffered thru major flooding events in about 3 of the last 4 years, during the majority of the spawning periods. That could come around to haunt us, in the next couple of years.
    Good luck on your boat "dealings" ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom:

I've noticed here that the females have finished absorbing any left over eggs from the previous spring and start getting fresh eggs in the Fall when the surface temps fall back down through the 60s. The egg sacks get larger and larger through the winter until the spawn starts and then get smaller over the next 4 to 6 weeks. Some of the females here seem to be nearly at capacity already (you can tell in the picture from yesterday) and if our temps stay above normal like they have been we'll probably see an early start to the spawn here.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I Too Have Noticed Alot Of Females With Eggs Here On The Hollow.i Was Given Pretty Much The Same Answer As Jerry Gives Above From Older,local,fishermen. I Cant Help Wonder Though If Are Relativly Mild Winter Doesnt Have Alot To Do With It??if The C.o.e. Leaves The Water Level Alone Maybe We"ll Have A Early Spawn??? Good Fishin To All Of You!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

WE noticed this weekend most of the females had well developed eggs. We think the spawn down here will be early with the warmer temps that are in the forecast for this next couple of weeks. My wife caught a large female (2.86 Lbs.) weekend before last and we put it in a large aquarium. The female has not moved from her spot in the last three days. I put about 2 dozen shiners in there yesterday and the other crappie tore them up and she didn't eat a one. Her egg sac is starting to protrude some. I think alot of it is the water in the tank is much warmer. Anyway she is going to release her back to the lake today in hopes she will go ahead and spawn in the lake. We had a little local crappie tournament this weekend. First place was 10 fish @ 15.55 Lbs., 2nd @ 13.13 Lbs. and 3rd @ 11.78 Lbs. I had the 2nd place finish and the fish I cleaned were all big males with the exception of 2 females. Just a note - I caught all my fish in 9 - 10 ft. water. There were alot of fish caught in the deeper water (11 - 18 ft) but most were small with an ocassional nice 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 Lb.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones form Reel Foot Friday, Were full of eggs.
    I hope to find out if the ones on Pickwick are also in the am.
    Pete