Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why?

I notice a lot of you use light weight mono on your rigs. Is there an advantage to mono over the new lines like Power Pro or the likes? I've found I can cast either one without any difficulty. Especially if I spray the new line with silicone a few times at first. It makes the line less prone to tangling and limper. Power Pro pays for itself in the no. of jigs you get back. Could be my thinking has gone haywire again.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Why ?

Bill, I used berkley trilene for a long time, But have switched to power pro and am well pleased with it. I use it in the ten and eight pound test. I love the solid feel when I set the hook, No stretch and it cast real smothe and has very good knot stregth. I just ordered five hundred yards on ebay and saved some money. Good luck and good fishing ! Jimmy S.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Cabelas proline 4# test for quite some years now. The clear helps me out fish my buddies with the heavier line, 5 to 1. As for getting jigs back, i'll take more fish with the light line and buy more jigs when i need to. Here in western Pa. the water doesn't stay clear but the lighter lines still give us advantages on the fish. I guess i'll keep the jig companies in buisness... Do you guys fish 1/64 and 1/80 oz jigs on 8 and 10 lb test line? and still catch the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm with you, Chaunce

Any time I've tried heavier line, I miss bites. Maybe the crappie here in Ohio are lighter hitting. Our water is murky green with a lot of suspended alge and that may make a difference. Besides, I fish an UL, casting small jigs for crappie, so I need line that's able to get out there with a tiny jig. I leave the heavier line for catfish and trout. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

:rolleyes: Well here's my thoughts on this,,,,LINE SIZE!!!! I'm using the Power Pro line that is 8lbs test. It's 1lbs size. Sooooo,,,,that's light line! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation matching line to equipment ...

I use mono in 4#, 6#, and 8# tests ... depending on the rod/reel and method being used with that outfit. I've caught Crappie on lines from 4# test to 17# test in mono ... and 20# test in Spiderwire and Cortland Braid. I just like the lighter lines for casting jigs on light to UL outfits - and giving the fish a sporting chance.

IBNFSHN .... you should come fish some of our tournaments at Watts Bar Lake in E. TN. ..... you stand a good chance of going home with a bag full of Crappie baits (then you won't have to worry so much about losing a few ...LOL!!) Our next one is in Oct (date TBA) - so you still have time to practice !! ...............luck2ya ....cp