Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 75 hp mercury ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 75 hp mercury ?

I have a buddy with a 75 hp mercury motor, a newer model, don't know exact model, that beeps constantly from the control bow the whole time the key is turned on. anyone know what is wrong, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

pstone

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick
    More than likely he's got a problem with the sending unit in the oil tank.Either the float is bad, or theres a probe that goes into the bottom of the tank thats gone bad.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Could be one of several engine alarms. Beeping indicates an issue, continuous means bad things are about to happen

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a steady beep its the temp sender. If its an intermittant beep, its the low oil sender. There is also an alarm module that is notorious for going out on that motor. I have a 95 model and just had to replace mine.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

TMD is the best information you can git .

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

It is a continuous beep, but it can't be the temp, because it beeps even if the motor is not cranked. It beeps ALL the time the key is on.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    It is a continuous beep, but it can't be the temp, because it beeps even if the motor is not cranked. It beeps ALL the time the key is on.
    The temp sender could be bad but I'm betting on the module. Here is how you can verify it. Located the alarm module. On my 1995 model it is on the starboard side behind the lower part of the cowling (a bear to get to). There are 5 wires going to it (2 blue, 1 purple, 1 tan and 1 black). Disconnect the blue wires and see if it still beeps. If it quits, the low oil sensior is bad. If it still beeps disconnect the tan wire and check again. If the beep quits your temp sender is bad. If it still beeps its the alarm module. Hope that helps.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like the oil float. Its stuck and sounding off.
    But then again it can be the oil lines on the motor. If there's not oil in the pump. The buzzer will also sound.
    I had a 150 that the oil line cracked at the oil pump and it did that also.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

If the oil float is just stuck, do I need to replace it, or can it be fixed?

I don't think it is cracked, because it is holding oil.

Somtimes I think it would be easier just to mix the oil and gas like we used to....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what kind of boat the engine is on, but most manufacturers now rig for Merc., Yamaha, Honda, etc. Most of them, including us, use an engine wiring harness made by someone other than the engine maker. We have to occasionally troubleshoot defective wiring from our suppliers. If it's a new boat, it's a possibility it's the harness itself. Some mfgrs. take it for granted that the harness maker runs a check on the harness prior to shipping, but that ain't so. They just install'em and ship'em without first checking them. (I hope it's not a Triton)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast