Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skip--Info Please

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skip--Info Please

Skip, you have been making jigs with the sickle hooks for a good while..Give us some input on the pros & cons of sickle over regular hooks...

It might just be me, but I like the regular gold hooks better..

Do you still offer a choice?

Thanks
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I know I am not skip, but sickle or wide gap hooks are the best hooking hooks there are. The amount of fish you miss drastically decreases.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don,

I can offer the regular eagle claw in some sizes now and will get what I can in size ans color you want. The Eagle Claw hooks I have are not gold, but I am pretty sure I can get them for you if you like. Just let me know and I will get a supply of the 1/16 in the size hook you want Don. If you want the gold hooks I don't mind getting and keeping a supply for you since I know you like to use the same size each time. I tell you want, let me check with the guy I buy from and I will go on a get a few hundred 1/16 in #4 gold if that is you size hook???

I like the sickle hooks because I don't think as many fish come off and for me I get a better deeper hook placement in his mouth. The other think I like about the Sickle over most others is they come sharper to start with. My favorite hook is Gamakatsu, but they don't make jig hooks this size and they cost a lot more. Even the Sickle hooks are a little more costly.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, do you pour your own heads? I like the "Jumbo" what I call em, heads on some of your jigs.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Species
    Skip, do you pour your own heads? I like the "Jumbo" what I call em, heads on some of your jigs.
    No I don't pour my own. I just decided I didn't want to get into that part and the cost of the molds and hooks by the thousands. I have too much inventory as it is. I do keep about 2000-3000 jig head in stock.

The Jumbo you speak of are the 1/4oz.

Thanks,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Once you start using the sickle hooks you will never look back. The hookup ratio increases like you won't believe. We pour our own heads using Mitzuo bronze sickle hooks. You can find them online for around 25.00 per 1,000.
    I have NEVER used a better hook period. They will burry up in the fishes nostrel when you set the hook. Hardly ever lose a fish now.I have yet to find a sharper hook. Just my .02

I LOVE SICKLE HOOKS

Jigster

Post Thanks / Like

To yall does it matter what color the hooks are? To me it never really has but i dont know.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I haven't tried the sickle hooks yet. I used Mustad bronze and red hooks and when I could not not find red Mustad hooks in the U.S. last year, I decided to try some Eagle Claws and first thing I noticed was I was getting hooks stuck in my fingers alot easier than the Mustad hooks so I changed hook brands. I think the Eagle Claw hooks are the only hooks made in the U.S. Cost of hooks is the biggest reason I haven't tried them and of course need to get rid of my 50,000+ stock pile first too.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Tom
    Well I haven't tried the sickle hooks yet. I used Mustad bronze and red hooks and when I could not not find red Mustad hooks in the U.S. last year, I decided to try some Eagle Claws and first thing I noticed was I was getting hooks stuck in my fingers alot easier than the Mustad hooks so I changed hook brands. I think the Eagle Claw hooks are the only hooks made in the U.S. Cost of hooks is the biggest reason I haven't tried them and of course need to get rid of my 50,000+ stock pile first too.

TT
    Eagle Claw are sharper than Mustad for sure! Sickle are sharper than that and Gamakatsu are the sharpest of all IMHO.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Ever tried the Mustad "Wide Gap"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast