Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need striper help. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Need striper help. . . .

Hey folks! I need some of yalls info, if ya could help me out. Im gonna try to go catch me a few stripers the end of this month, and Im clueless as to where to start. Yes ive caught a few, but ive never went out strictly striper fishing. Ill be fishing lake juliette here in Georgia (extrememly clear). I know June isnt the best time for them, but I gotta start somewhere. Any suggestions on wether I should troll, drift or whatever? also , what size hooks should I be using? I will try to catch some shad out there, but if it goes as I expect, Ill probably fishing with bream. Once again, I know thats not the best, but Im new at this. ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Im not giving up on crappie, so easy on the bashing:D . Just going to a place thats new to me (somewhat), so why not try something different. :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default bit of help

what you need to do is to get you some live skipjack 3"-8" and do the normal live bait rig. i have found this bait of choice to be the best. Although i have caught more during the the spawn off of the guts and chunks...the bigger have been caught off live bait always. now as where to fish, that would not be of much help from me at this moment but you can seach a bit on the web as to where to find striper at this time of year also around the area you live or the actual lake. that might be better. hope that helps
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Slab. You know the best place to find those skipjack? I was planning on trying to catch some shad when I get to the lake, but Id love to have something to carry with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loc.

Where i live i always catch skipjack by this power plant dam. What i do is type two to three crappie jigs about 5 to 6 inches apart and cast into the current. With a fast steady retrieve rod tip down almost in the water. If they are they you will catch them and if they are in abundance like up here you can catch usually two and three at a time. But you better have a high lb test line. I have had two on and break 10lbs test. they are fighters and i usually just go fish for them if i cannot catch anything else. they are really fun to catch. For the smaller ones you can buy a rig at walmart that has line a leader with i think 8 or 10 small flies attached to them. those are the best for the small ones for live bait. it is illegal in tennessee to use that rig so i have never tried only seen it.
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

jh_blount,

I can't disagree with the Skipjack theory, but no need to try at Juliette as you most likely won't find them. You need cast net and an early start(before daylight) find some shoals on the banks and cast net before daylight to those spots and you will find shad or herring(not sure if there are many in Juliette yet). Your best bet right now is with live and cut shad on downlines towards the dam end of the lake. You will most likely want to have a couple of popper lures handy if you see them breaking the surface. Bream will not work very well, but you may find a few. Good Luck.
    Rgds,
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKP
    jh_blount,

I can't disagree with the Skipjack theory, but no need to try at Juliette as you most likely won't find them. You need cast net and an early start(before daylight) find some shoals on the banks and cast net before daylight to those spots and you will find shad or herring(not sure if there are many in Juliette yet). Your best bet right now is with live and cut shad on downlines towards the dam end of the lake. You will most likely want to have a couple of popper lures handy if you see them breaking the surface. Bream will not work very well, but you may find a few. Good Luck.
    Rgds,
    J

Thanks, JKP. Tell me if im wrong, but in assuming i need to be looking for "bout the deeptest water I can find, right. Or atleast around 60-70 foot?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and No,
    Good electronics help, but yea 50+ on humps are a good place to start, but I do know you can see them breaking the water in early morning and late afternoon if you are in the right place. If you have shad, you have a good shot at finding them. The water is clear so use about a 3/0 or 4/0 gap hook on ultra clear or black leaders, I like the invisaline that Shaw uses. Go as light on the line strength as you can to keep them from being line shy.
    Rgds,
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, JKP

Post Thanks / Like

In early morning or late afternoon they come up on top of water to feed on shad and minnows. I wait for them to break water feeding then i throw a top water bait where they just broke water and almost always they hit the top water bait as soon as it hits water. If they don't hit it as soon as it lands then jerk your bait to make a splash and they will still hit the lure.