Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Brush Piles In Illinois

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brush Piles In Illinois

After talking with a Conservation Officer yesterday, I found out it is illegal to put out your own brush piles here in Illinois. I wonder what the laws are in some of the other states? I can see how some irresponsible folks could put out some brushpiles where they would be a potential hazzard. He says here in Illinois, you need to work with the local game biologist in order to get some brush out. I am definately going to attempt to organize the placement of some underwater structure on the lakes I fish on as anyone that reads this board very much will see, fishing brush piles is where to catch crappie. What are the laws in your state in regards to placing brush piles?
    I might add that the very nice Conservation Officer is an avid crappie fisherman and reads this board.

Post Thanks / Like

Arkansas apparently doesn't have any state regulations about putting down cover but you are required to get a permit from the Corp of Engineers to put cover in CORP lakes, which also requires you to disclose where you plan to put it.

You definitely don't want to put anything in the lake where it would be a hazard to swimmers, skiers or boats. I've seen a lot of stake beds and such around docks and it concerns me. It probably wouldn't be very healthy for someone to dive off a dock into a stake bed, PVC condo or any other rigid type structure.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jerry:

Remember the first TeeZur fishing tournament and Mansard Island Resort. Near the boat dock toward the back end of that bay there were lots of stake beds exposed by the low water levels that Nov.

Do you remember seeing the long White PVC poles that were placed on each stake bed? When the water levels come back up those poles mark the stake bed postions. Someone told me that they were required to put those markers on the Stake bed so that water skiers would know where they were for safety reasons.

I wonder if that is required in any of the other States here in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Arkansas apparently doesn't have any state regulations about putting down cover but you are required to get a permit from the Corp of Engineers to put cover in CORP lakes, which also requires you to disclose where you plan to put it.

You definitely don't want to put anything in the lake where it would be a hazard to swimmers, skiers or boats. I've seen a lot of stake beds and such around docks and it concerns me. It probably wouldn't be very health for someone to dive off a dock into a stake bed, PVC condo or any other rigid type structure.
    Regards,

Moose1am

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

look I don't put out brush. I build bamboo condos...

I do worry about some lake home owner stopping me by getting some type of enviromental officials after me. I know they want you to wash and clean your boat here if you are changing lakes. One of the things I consider is safety. The closest I would get to a dock is 25yds or more. I try to put them out of site out of mind. Isure hope I don't hear it is illegal here, atleast not until I get about 30 condos in place. Jerry says they could last several years. I am scared some of the big owners on the lake are going to have that moving Island covered in thick bamboo checked out and stopped if it lets me catch their fish.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I had my pvc pipes strapped together with a velcro tie and loaded in the boat. I had just launched the boat and was only about 100ft from the ramp when the game warden appeared out of nowhere. He drove around the parking lot and left and didn't say anything to me. I had not started to put the pvc tree together. If was only then that I wondered if it was legal to put out crappie attractors. I don't see any harm in adding some cover to the stipper pits but the property managers may not see it that way. Not sure what they have to say on this subject. I need to call them and find out though. Not much can harm this water as it's an old coal mine strip pit and it's full or iron and other chemicals in the water. I found two buckets tonight that I saw were being used by the drywallers. A friend of mine is starting a new business and the property that he is going to lease is being remodeld and the drywall guys were there this week. I am leaning toward the plain bucket on the bottom of the lake filled with just a bit of gravel to take her down to the lake bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    look I don't put out brush. I build bamboo condos...

I do worry about some lake home owner stopping me by getting some type of enviromental officials after me. I know they want you to wash and clean your boat here if you are changing lakes. One of the things I consider is safety. The closest I would get to a dock is 25yds or more. I try to put them out of site out of mind. Isure hope I don't hear it is illegal here, atleast not until I get about 30 condos in place. Jerry says they could last several years. I am scared some of the big owners on the lake are going to have that moving Island covered in thick bamboo checked out and stopped if it lets me catch their fish.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The good lord knows that I know where there are a couple of leaning trees that have already been worked on by beaver that would only take a couple of minutes with my chain saw and I would have perfect crappie structure for the next 20 years. I reckon I will wait for nature to take it's course.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave:

Help Mother Nature (and your catch rate) by dropping those trees. Use a bow saw though - very quite.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Na Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Hey Jerry:

Remember the first TeeZur fishing tournament and Mansard Island Resort. Near the boat dock toward the back end of that bay there were lots of stake beds exposed by the low water levels that Nov.

Do you remember seeing the long White PVC poles that were placed on each stake bed? When the water levels come back up those poles mark the stake bed postions. Someone told me that they were required to put those markers on the Stake bed so that water skiers would know where they were for safety reasons.

I wonder if that is required in any of the other States here in the US?
    These are steak beds set out by the state and marked for people just begining to fish or for people too lazy to put out their own stuff. Don't have to mark crap here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard in Alabama that there is a quote of brush piles you can put out, then after that you must obtain a permit to do so. Never heard of anyone getting stopped for doing so. I could see some lake home residents getting p.o.ed at the fisherman and getting others involved, though. I know of a few that would do it right now if someone told them about it.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

If a water skier is up where those stake beds are at Mansard, the boat pulling him has ran aground . They were totally exposed two weeks ago. All of them were high and dry. At summer pool i wouldn't think they are forty yards from the bank and maybe 100 yards from the end of the cove.