Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: KY Creel Limit on Crappie?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KY Creel Limit on Crappie?

I read in the local where Ky is going to reduce the creel limit to 20 per day, but was gonna leave the size at 10 inches. Is this true? Seems they have done some studies and the studies indicated that too many fish are being harvested.

If so, Tn will follow probably follow suit because of the "shared river" (which is fine with me).
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Ohio would also follow suit. Right now we have neither.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I heard this a week or so ago. I do not know if it is official yet. I hope TN does follow their lead.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

The summer edition of KY Afield, the magazine, has a half page about this. I scanned it rather quickly last night but do remember the commission looking lowering the limit to 20, dont recall a size limit, but as i said i read it rather quickly. Supposed to vote on it this month on the 8th or next month on the 8th, cant remember which. The KY forum has a thread on this, seems like most folks are divided.

Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to give my opinion. Whether it is 20 or 30, doesnt matter to me. I never "keep" more than i can eat or give to my neighbors, which would rarely be 10 or so. If the fishery needs the adjustment, there are people out there paid to research this and make the adjustment. Doesnt say you couldnt catch 500, which is where most of us get our joy anyway.

my .02

chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

20 would be great. I just hope they have people to inforce the laws what ever they are. The present 30 fish per person would be a good number if people would quit getting their limit, then drop them off at the bank and go out and get another limit.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, a 20 fish 11" limit wouldn't bother me one bit. I know that would never happen though. It will be interesting to see if this passes and how it effects things. Obviously the fishery you'd expect would improve but will the local economies suffer any? Would people pay $275.00 for a guide any more....I'm for what ever is best for the fishery.

Post Thanks / Like

Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

NY has a 25 fish creel limit and 9" minimum length, seems to do well at keeping the population at a good level. Then again, I don't think there are nearly as many crappie fishermen in NY as there are in other states (too many other species to go after), so overfishing is less likely to happen. I know I fish for just about every kind of fish we have - but target crappie when I'm after fish to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

The main lake I fish has a 25 fish limit with no more than 10 over 10". i have to say I catch a lot of legal size fish and have to watch closely to ensure I don't go over on the big fish. Best day was the wife and I kept our 50 with the 20 being 12"+ fish and the other 30 were between 9.5 and 9.99 inches. Throughout the day we culled 17 and probably threw back 30. Man that was some good eats throughout the winter:D