Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gas Gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas Gauge

I have a below-deck fuel tank (24 gallon). When i start the engine the pin goes to full always. when i give throttle and release quickly, it will move to 3/4 or so and then back to full.

I am convinced this is a stuck float in the sender unit on the gas tank. my question is, what is the best way to free the float without removing the sender unit (if there is a way)? i dont want to break the seal and have to go through that mess. the tank is hard to get to as it is.

i checked the wiring, it is fine, if anything, i might take a brush to the leads and clean them a little, but i doubt that is a problem

Has anybody freed a float before? if so, please fill me in

this sender has 5 screws on the outside and one in the middle. any advice would be very appreciated.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like the float is just moving with the sloshing of the gas in the tank. My Blazer does that sometimes.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman
    Sounds to me like the float is just moving with the sloshing of the gas in the tank. My Blazer does that sometimes.
    agreed, but after running it friday, saturday, sunday of memorial day weekend, i really doubt it should still be reading full.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound like you need to replace the sending unit. I'm getting ready to replace mine tomorrow and like your's, its buried. I went ahead and replaced the gauge hoping that was the problem but alas, it wasn't. BTW you get a new seal with the new ones.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneJM
    agreed, but after running it friday, saturday, sunday of memorial day weekend, i really doubt it should still be reading full.
    So true. for me it was a case of putting mouth in motion before putting brain in gear.I was just looking at a full tank.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer