Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

I was thinking about trying to troll for crappie and anything else that wants to bite. What kind and size of crankbaits are good for crappie. What color?

Post Thanks / Like

it largely depends on a couple of factors.
    1. water clarity
    2. water depth.

1. if the water is stained, you will want to use real bright colors - yellow, chartreuse, or silver (my fav. choice). If it is clear water, you'll need more natural colors.
    2. depth, deeper water means deeper diving cranks, & the bandit 100,200,300 are all excellent choices. I don't think the crappie are real deep right now, so the 200 would be a good starting point. you can also vary the depth by how much line you put out. the main thing to try is outside bends of channels, & deep water that is close to flats, points, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

we caught a mess of crappie trolling tube jigs this past Saturday. Don't limit yourself to any one kind of lure - you'll increase your odds of finding what they're hitting if you put a couple lures in the water, and if nothing happens, try a couple more different ones (beetle-spins, grubs, roadrunners, in-line spinners, small spoons, cranks, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zwc32
    I was thinking about trying to troll for crappie and anything else that wants to bite. What kind and size of crankbaits are good for crappie. What color?
    http://www.crappie.com/jeff/
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff