Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to crappie

wagonboss Guest

Default new to crappie

Hello,
    I just registered on this forum and have never fished crappie before. What is the bait used? Thanks.

Lane Reeder

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows and anything artificial that resembles a minnow. Thats the broad answer. 1 to 2 inch tubes.....many colors. Curly tails of all kinds.....1 to 2 inches...many colors. And there are others too. Put the above two on a jig head...usually 1/16 oz to 1/32. I'm sure if everyone puts some info in, we can give you all the info you need to know in about 20 posts.....lol.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Welcome aboard, WB ..

just keep reading the posts, check out the articles, follow the links on the site and those in posts about "baits used" ... you'll get overwhelmed by the number and diversity of things that can be used to catch Crappie. Alive or artificial ... bagged, bottled, or canned ... "custom made" or commercially produced ... there are literally thousands of different ones to choose from.

Tell us what lakes you fish, or intend to fish, and I'm sure we can get you some ideas to get you started. ..........luck2ya .......cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

about the only thing that I have not caught a crappie on is chicken livers.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    about the only thing that I have not caught a crappie on is chicken livers.

Have you ever tried chicken livers for crappie? LOL
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Just about everything shown in the blog, catches crappie. Bass lures work, except medium to small work best much of the time. Crappies go nuts for topwaters, small jerkbaits (suspending and floating minnows), small spinnerbaits with Flashabou, soft stick worms, 3.25" grub-worms (nose hooked; see pic), in-lines, Swedish Pimple spoons, flies (split shot on spinning gear), small cranks, Beetle Spins/ various grub bodies, tubes (1"- 3"), shads and flukes, Tiny Brush Hog (whole or cut down 1/2" and rigged on a 1/16 oz jighead, Spring Grub and Caterpillar worm (Bass Pro), Fat Albert Grub(Zoom), small craws and a slew of other lures. Meal worms and small crawlers work on a 1/32-1/16 oz jighead or slim spoon. I'll try dropshotting small worms in spring.

http://senkosam.blogspot.com/

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Wagon Boss--just Read The Posts Like Said Earlier!!theres Unlimited Knowledge On This Board And Everyones Helpful!! Good Fishin To Ya!!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Wagonboss! Good to see more Arkansas boys on the board. Better warn you up front that crappie fishing is very addicting. Once it gets in your blood, there's not turning back. lol You couldn't be in better company though.

Best advice I could give you is what I did when I first started - hire a guide willing to teach and show you firsthand how. Since you are from Arkadelphia and close to Lakes Hamilton or Greeson, either call Jerry Blake - www.actionfishingtrips.com - he was my teacher and now my mentor. Or, give me a call - www.familyfishingtrips.com - and I'll be glad to take you out show ya what's so great about crappie fishing. Jerry guides fulltime and I guide parttime on the same lakes on weekends all the way from Paragould.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wagonboss
    Hello,
    I just registered on this forum and have never fished crappie before. What is the bait used? Thanks.

Lane Reeder
    Hey Lane:

Welcome aboard! There are a zillion baits and technigues used to catch crappie. I keep it simple with Rosy Red minnows and Shiners under slip-floats and tightlining hair, tube and solid body jigs.

I'd be glad to show you first hand how and where we catch these just a few miles from where you live - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/pictures.htm.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome friend, I have to agree with Darryl Crappie fishing is very addictive!
    Good luck!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast